Home » Forums » Student Videos » Oh my gosh I figured out vibrato

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jameseke
      Participant

Mike Reeve
      Participant

Excellent, so you bend your wrist to play vibrato. I shall be trying that very shortly. Oh, and your tone sounds really good.

Kvmceff
        Participant

Sounds good and the finger motion is spot on. Working to keep the wrist in the ‘normal’ playing space/plane is the next step. Right now you have an extra motion to tense the wrist and bend it. It’s all part of the learning process. Keep the wrist relaxed and you are there!!

jameseke
      Participant

As far as I have researched there is finger, wrist and arm vibrato.
      Jason has a really great tutorial on vibrato.
      I just basically have practiced doing the wrist vibrato exercises for about a year. Basically like you are knocking on a door.
      I first just held the violin right where the neck joins the body and spent about 4 months working on the movement alone with zero bowing. Then I started bowing with the Queen Elizabeth wave not for sound but the movement. Did that for probably 3 months.
      Then I did wrist and arm vibrato while roughly doing scales for about another 4 months and then recently trying to add it roughly into songs.
      I figured it would probably be another year minimum before I got to what I did in the video. Something just clicked subconsciously and I was like ‘oh this is how it is done’.
      Committed fun practice is key.

Mike Reeve
      Participant

Yep … practice is key indeed. Some months to go yet it seems 🙂

kate.kakadu
      Participant

You’ve inspired me, Jameseke! I’m going to make vibrato my next challenge. It’s just been one of those things I haven’t been able to get. Love the analogy of the Queen E’s wave!

jameseke
      Participant

You can do it

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Soooo good. Thanks for sharing this.

Michael G
      Participant

THis is inspiring to see/hear. I worked on a vibrato on guitar for a few years before it finally clicked for me. My breakthrough on guitar vibrato arrived when I bought my first telecaster. There was something about the weight distribution and the feel of the neck that opened the door for me, and once I found it, I could play vibrato on any guitar. I have zero compass for finding it on violin – yet. I have a lot of other rudimentary skill development ahead of me, but I hope someday to have a breakthrough like you did.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.