Home » Forums » Student Videos » Breton Gavotte/Swallowtail Jig Medley

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Marg Sherringham
      Participant

This is my ‘end of the Spring Practice Challenge” video. I was inspired by Jason’s Practice Journey on Breton Gavotte and had already started to work on it. He had some great suggestions to expand on the tune, so I thought I’d experiment with these ideas and try to string them together. It’s still a work in progress, I think I managed to pull myself up from a stumble and hopefully with more practice I’ll improve my intonation on the lower octave notes in particular.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Whoops I don’t think that last link worked, sorry.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Hmmmm, Sorry to muck this up so many times, trying to submit the video a different way this time, fingers crossed.

Deb Hilton
        Participant

Impressive Marg! I loved it all so much!

Owen
      Participant

That was very good, Marg; a nice light touch, fine tone and timing, and you sway to the beat as well….Hip-Hip!!

Marg Sherringham
        Participant

Thanks Owen, yes the swaying came naturally once I eventually relaxed. I’m pushing myself out of my comfort zone to make these videos, but I know they’re a good tool for our practice.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Very good, I really enjoyed that!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Great stuff, Marg! Awesome variation and I love your transition to Swallow tail jig. I have downloaded the strum machine app I was so inspired. I want to develop a set of songs to play and thought it was a good way to practise. (But I can’t work out how to add the mandolin yet. I’ve ticked the box but it just sounds like guitar to me.) Love that you’re experimenting with this and sharing it!

Marg Sherringham
        Participant

Thanks Kate, I was very nervous relying on my memory and hoping I could move through the variations smoothly. I can’t take credit for the ideas, they were from Jason’s Practice Journey replay, but I did enjoy the challenge! That’s great that you have Strum Machine now, it’s saved a lot of time for me, as I used to make all my own backings with Garageband, still do when I want the sound of my other instruments, but for practice Strum Machine is so easy and quick. I had a look at my settings, pulled back the mandolin and then guitar, and I think you’re right, they do sound the same.
        The way I joined Breton Gavotte and Swallowtail Jig was by using the medley feature in the right hand side bar. When I made the backing for Breton Gavotte, I had to use 6/8 and double every chord because Strum Machine only goes up to 9/8 and Breton Gavotte is in 12/8. Swallowtail Jig was already in strum machine in E Minor, so I just transposed that to B Minor (same key as B.G.). Then set them both to 85bpm and yay, it worked!
        Good luck, have fun with Strum Machine and I look forward to your next video. 🙂

Rita
        Participant

Oh, my Kate! I am impressed with how you have learned to do back up with garage band and now strum machine, which I have no idea what it is or how to use it. Our little music on line community is so great!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Also was that strum machine that you used as a back up or another app? Also, if it is strum machine, how did you get the different strumming?

Rita
      Participant

Well done! Thanks for sharing. It is so good to be able to record and share our progress with a wonderful, encouraging group!

Marg Sherringham
        Participant

Thanks Rita, I’m so happy I found this online community.

Michael G
      Participant

I love the Breton Gavotte, and you are playing it really well. I haven’t worked on the octave lower version – or the embellishments you’ve added. You’ve inspired me. And your Swallowtail Jig is really excellent. Great job!

Nancy Couch
      Participant

Marg, thanks for sharing this, I’m inspired to maybe working up the nerve to maybe share my own practice videos. I like how you used all of the tools Jason gives us here and I wanted to say (since no one else mentioned it) that you are getting very good tone out your fiddle-especially on the low-end.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks for your kind comments Nancy, I look forward to seeing your 1st video. The Fiddlehed community is very supportive and encouraging. 🙂

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.