Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » Working on sound

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      kate.kakadu
      Participant

I’ve been trying to improve my tone. I felt that my left hand has been very muddy, so wanted to some how make it sing. I’ve been doing a lot of vibrato practice, looking at a range of YouTube techniques, mainly arm vibrato. Jason’s songs are always so tuneful, so I’ve been listening a lot to how he does his notes and trying to emulate them. So my practise has been really just focusing on the sound of a song I’m learning; Rights of Man in this instance and working on it, recording myself and then listening and working out where I can improve it.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Kate your playing sounds spot on! Notes are clear and great intonation, nice bounce to the rhythm too. It’s good to read how others are approaching their practice and I think Jason’s methods and encouragement are hugely supportive.
      Thanks for posting the link to the Drifters as well, I love how they gradually build from a simple tune to play innovative solos, found the banjo player particularly interesting. I have an arrangement of Shady (or Matty) Groves by Georgia Nettleton, written for a band, you’ve reminded me to dig that one out, great song.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

This is really good Kate, nice sound! It’s a tricky tune to master this well.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks Marg and Joanne for your feedback. Always so much to improve on, bowing continues to be a big one for me, so really working on it. For some reason my comments never get posted so hopefully this gets through!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.