Home » Forums » Student Videos » The magic of the Pentatonic Scale CHALLENGE!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Twyla
      Participant

I just bought a pickup for my 109-year-old fiddle and played her for the first time through my amp! WOW!

I learned the A minor pentatonic scale from Fiddlehed, found a backing track on YouTube and started improvising using the scale. If you haven’t learned one of these magical scales yet, I highly recommend that you do! You can jam to anything A major or A minor just knowing the pattern of one of the pentatonic scales and playing variations of it! What will YOU do with a pentatonic Scale?? I’ve only been playing for litter over a year! If I can do it YOU CAN TOO! Let’s see them! CHALLENGE!

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Great idea Twyla, you’re clearly enjoying the creative experience of improvising on the pentatonic scale. Sounding really cool, and yes ‘magical’ is a very good description I think. Thanks for sharing.:)

Joanne Iles
      Participant

I really like this, it just shows how much fun you can have with scales and how versatile just one scale is at adapting accompaniments to tracks! Lovely sound too with your new pick-up! I didn’t dare do that with my 100 yr old violin, so bought an electric one instead! I see you have an orange amp, I was using my husband’s orange crush bass amp,they sound & look so cool!

Twyla
        Participant

I was thinking of getting YET another fiddle (electric) How fun and they look so darn cool! The pickup I got didn’t require any modifications to my violin nor is it causing any damage. Just clamps next to the shoulder rest (there is cork padding) and the little pickup pad just slips into the bridge slot where it curls. Easy peasy. And YES that’s my orange crush amp that I play my Fender Strat electric guitar through. I can now blast the neighborhood with my fiddle playing! LOL

kate.kakadu
      Participant

That sounded great! Your violin sounded beautiful, why bother with an electric when you can get such good sound with what you’ve got? Loved your improv. What did you use as a backing track?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.