Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » Hobart’s Transformation 6th Jan. 2022.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Marg Sherringham
      Participant

This is my 1st attempt at filming myself for Fiddlehed. Inspired by others, I felt I should contribute too, and become more connected to this warm community of supportive fiddlers. My intonation needs more work especially sliding up to A, and I need to get some help with the camera focus, but it was fun to do once I mustered up the courage. I hope this link works.
      Cheers,
      Marg.

Keith Calhoun
      Participant

Really great job, Marg! Extremely well done! Thanks for posting it!

Michael G
      Participant

That was excellent, Marg! I thought your intonation was quite good – that’s one of my biggest struggles. I also think that we tend to think our own intonation is worse than it really is. Although I’m pretty sure mine’s pretty bad…

That looks like a nice mandolin too – do you play mandolin as well?

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks Keith and Michael for your lovely, encouraging comments. I have a long, long way to go, the New Year meant stepping from the beginner course to intermediate for me, Hobart’s Transformation being the 1st tune, I know there’s some serious work ahead of me now.

Yes Michael, I have struggles with intonation too, good and bad days, but I love starting my practice sessions playing scales with the drones. It really helps and I find it very relaxing too, puts me in the “zone”. Yes, I do play mandolin too, if I make another video, I’ll turn it round so you can see the front. Classical guitar is my 1st instrument, beautiful music, but I also love the contrast of the fiddle and mandolin. They’ve given me more flexibility and I enjoy the social aspect of playing with others in sessions. Do you play other instruments?

Michael G
      Participant

Hi Marg – Yes, guitar, mandolin and bass guitar (and ukulele, which was my first instrument at 11 years old – just realizing that’s 50 years ago!). I gave the Irish concertina a… er, um, concerted effort a few years ago but I realized I am a dyed in the wool stringed instrument aficionado. I think fiddle is likely to be my last attempt at adding to my instrumental repertoire. My favorite thing about playing instruments is sharing that in a small setting with other musicians. My son is my favorite jam partner – he’s an amazing songwriter and singer/musician.

I love classical guitar though I don’t play classical music (except I’ve dabbled with Bach pieces for practice and enjoyment) and am a folk musician at heart (I do have a nice classical guitar that I use for fingerstyle when the occasion calls for it).

I really like the tune Hobert’s Transformation. I look forward to learning it when (if? I hope ‘when’) I reach that level in the courses.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

That’s great Michael, you’d be in demand at sessions with your mix of instruments to choose from, and yeah, there’s something about playing music with your adult children isn’t there? Really special to be able to pass on the love of music to them. I play with my son too, when he comes home, he lives 3 hours away. Last visit, he came to a session with me and we both had a lot of fun.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

That was a great version of Hobart’s Transformation, Marg. Love your lilt and slides! Thanks for posting!

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks Kate.

Katrina McGill
      Participant

Hi Marg

I thought your playing, particularly your intonation was good. I live in Brisbane Australia. Where are you? Katrina

cbFidHed2020
      Participant

Marg, you sound wonderful!! Very smooth bowing and a lot of life to your performance. I’ve been playing this tune myself a lot lately, and I appreciate what you’ve done with it.

Brian
      Participant

This was wonderful to watch and listen! Thanks for sharing! I hope I can play this song one day since it sounds beautiful!

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Hi Katrina,
      Thanks for your feedback, and it’s good to know there’s other Australian fiddleheds out there. I live at Coolangatta, but not the one near Brisbane. We’re in a little rural area near Shoalhaven Heads 2 and a half hours south of Sydney NSW. Our Coolangatta got it’s name from the indigenous Mount Cullunghutti.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks for your kind comments cbfidhed and Brian, your encouragement is much appreciated.
      Yes, it’s a great tune, I hope you both have as much fun playing it as I do.:)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.