NEW HOMEPAGE LANDING PAGE Forums Student Videos Ashokan farewell

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kate.kakadu
      Participant

I’ve been working on vibrato and Ashokan farewell seemed an appropriate tune to practice on, with a little harmonisation I learnt https://youtu.be/utqDjGY-dEM

Debbie Hill
      Participant

Really well done! Don’t you love the harmony?!

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

That was really beautiful Kate, and a reminder to me that I have to stop procrastinating and start working on my vibrato, I don’t do it properly but I can see your hand knows what it’s doing. This tune has such a pretty melody and just when you think it can’t get any better, in comes the harmony. Great job, that was such a joy to listen to!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks Debbie and Marg. I would like to create a harmony myself, but it was fun to hear it played together. It’s taken me a while to attempt vibrato without destroying the tune in the attempt. Certainly don’t feel in control or confident with my technique – I still tense up and grip the neck when I should relax my left hand. Then when I focus on that, my bowing starts to slide. Perseverance and patience they say! It’s been frustrating But I have noticed some improvement and one day I hope I’ll get the sound I hear when Jason plays it.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Really lovely Kate! Your vibrato and the melody are great then the harmony comes in too!

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Following up on my previous comment, I just spent an hour or so playing along with your track plus recording some back up chords! Isn’t it great that we can do this around the world & play together to learn these tunes. Until now I have always struggled to get the timing of this gorgeous tune so thank you for sharing x

kate.kakadu
      Participant

You’re right, Joanne, it is fantastic that we can get inspired and play along and try new things through this Fiddlehed forum. I’ve learnt so much by watching you all and it has motivated me to keep going and challenge myself. I wish our time zones were more compatible for participating in group sessions, because they look so much fun. But it’s great to watch them afterwards and also see what everyone is trying. I often will play along, and want to learn songs because of what people post. I was so inspired by your wayfaring stranger that you did a while back which sent me down a rabbit hole of versions and I got MuseScore and Anytune to work out the Jack white’s version of it, because I loved the fiddle in it so much. When I started this journey, if you’d told me that I would be understanding music enough to transcribe it, I would have laughed. This is a fantastic community and I’m so thankful for it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.