Home ยป Forums ยป Student Videos ยป Wildwood Flower

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Love this tune https://youtu.be/GvFOiig5RKM?si=2utqlHhSLbGoPK5T

Need to work on proper left hand mechanics and smooth out movement. Intonation improving since I’ve been using drones.

Part two with violin. What am I doing that makes it sound nasally?

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

Steve, beautiful playing and forms of sharing, thanks for putting it out there in this way, real well rounded. I experienced your enjoyment in playing this song which supported my experience well ๐Ÿ™‚ Your keenness is contagious!
      As for your inquiry on the sound, I’d be curious if the sound you mention is heard in the recording or if you are also experiencing it in person as you play? I noticed some difference in sound between the two videos. Appears you were in different rooms, which could affect things, and were you using different recording devices for each video?
      Overall you had a clear sound and great skills in coordinating the elements for fiddling.
      A couple points that you may find help with sound: In this last video, the camera angle is a great visual of your playing, and specifically the bow movement. These recordings are beneficial to continue making, while noticing where the bow is moving on the strings. The parallelability of the bow to the bridge (and parallel to edge of fingerboard) has a good impact on sound, as well as the area one plays in (closer to bridge or towards fingerboard). Keep experimenting with the various ways of this, and in small increments, bring the focus back to general parallel bow and also maintaining bow between bridge and fingerboard. This will always vary some with our playing, though inevitably impacts our sound.
      One other idea is to experiment with tightness of bow hair. Try loosening bow hair some and testing playing on strings to see if it is tight enough to not have the stick contact strings. And notice how sound changes with small changes of this.
      And finally, the type of violin, type of strings, type of bow, create their own unique sounds. Something that can be worth continuously re-evaluating and trying out various options over time, especially when have opportunity to have our instruments at a violin store, is where we try out different options and configurations. I think your sound is doing well with the setup you have, and it will be interesting to continue experiencing your playing along the journey of evolution, as you choose to share.
      Thanks for reaching out for feedback ๐ŸŽถ

thanks, same room, same setup with camera (phone). The first clip is my 15.5 viola. The second video is with the 4/4 violin. I see where my bowing is off. I seem to adjust fingering for the smaller instrument, but not my bowing. Of course, my sound is good when I’m not wincing in pain (If you watch “Poker Face” on my YouTube channel, you will see what I mean). Is there anything I should be cautious about as I’m working on two different instruments? (Will add a third 15″ viola when I’m at the cabin in the mountain)

Here is another rendition with my 15″ student viola. Same recording device (phone) but now outdoors in my favorite concert hall.

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

Love this, Steve. Nice work on the Viola, fun and interesting way to switch it up. Great playing and smooth hand position changes too. Your really in a good groove with this tune.
      Do you notice much with the change in size/arm reach and weight of instrument compared to violin? I have yet to try a viola.
      Awesome environment you choose to play in ๐ŸŒฒโ„๏ธ

The weight and reach of this 15″ student viola is my favorite. My FM masters viola is 15.5 and almost too much for me now but I love the deep rich sounds. The violin seems too small but definitely easier to hold on to. I am working with the violin a lot more recently, but my go to is the masters. Thanks for the feedback.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks for sharing your videos Steve. We all benefit from reading Jocelyns feedback. I really like the sound of your Viola and it shows how much you developed your playing between the two videos too. Great work! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.