Home » Forums » Student Videos » Beginner attempt at Cluck Old Hen

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Calhoun
      Participant

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Cool version and variation to the one I’ve learnt. I definitely wouldn’t call you a beginner though!

Michael G
      Participant

Hey Keith that’s awesome! You got slides, double stops and shuffle bowing all going at the same time. Nice work – you are further down the ‘beginner’ path than me for sure – I have been struggling a lot with double stops. May I ask what practice strategies you use to help with double stops?

Joanne Iles
      Participant

That’s a great version, well played!

Keith Calhoun
      Participant

Well thanks guys! Regarding double stops, I kind of discovered them accidentally when I was learning the simple notes to “Down to the River to Pray”. I’m trying to do as Jason says and not mash the bow into the strings too hard to obtain the effect. A couple other tunes I use to practice my double stops are “Handsome Molly” and “Waterbound” (old time version). The easy melodies make them approachable for double stop practice, at least for me! I actually haven’t gotten through Jason’s course far enough yet where he addresses double stops… When I hit them right it gives me the chills! 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.