NEW HOMEPAGE LANDING PAGE Forums Student Videos Angeline Baker, Speed Challenge

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Carolyn
      Participant

I decided to learn a couple things at once with the speed challenge. I’ve been wanting to figure out how to do split clips with iMovie, so this is a first. Since playing with others is one of the things I like the best, I chose the only other person in the house who plays anything–me. I plan on adding variations as I go along. It wasn’t easy to keep the beat with the banjo because I had a hard time playing it so slow, so I had to keep looking over at the light on the metronome. Also, I had to use the metronome spikes in the audio as a guide on how to match them up. But I’ll keep figuring it out!

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Carolyn, that’s brilliant! I’m in awe of your playing on both & mastering the technology! Great video!

Carolyn
        Participant

Thanks! I was so impatient to try it once I decided to, that I just propped up my phone to take the shots. Now that I know how it works, I’ll see what I can do to make the next one better!

Nick Wilkins
      Participant

Carolyn, that is SO good! I love it!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Wow! Now I want to learn the banjo too! It sounded really good and I think you should also do a lesson on how you did the video – It’s a great idea to create your own accompaniment. Thanks for posting!

Carolyn
        Participant

I’ve been making little movies on iMovie for awhile, it is pretty user-friendly. I would know more if I had the patience to sit down and go through the tutorials, but I’m always ready to get started on something when I sit down! I knew a split screen had to be in there somewhere, so I googled it and found out where the controls were.
        I love clawhammer banjo, and it is not that steep a learning curve, once you get the hang of the basic rhythm.

Carolyn
      Participant

Ok, I was pretty sure I could speed this up a bit, so here is Angeline at 145 bpm, with an occasional drone. At this point, I think I will stick at around 150 or 155 for a couple days while work on style. Not super easy to exactly match the beat, so “good enough” is where I’m at for now.

Joanne Iles
        Participant

I love these videos! Your playing sounds really good at this speed, there’s a nice light & floaty feel to it.

Carolyn
      Participant

Well, I couldn’t resist moving up the speed dial on the metronome. I always figure this in the importance of learning tunes (if you intend on playing with other people) #1. Keep the beat. You can play all the wrong notes, and it might not sound that nice, but at least everyone else can play along. Mess up the beat and it’s a train wreck. #2. Be clean. If your notes are clean, even if you don’t impress anyone, you won’t offend anyone. #3. Play close to the proper tempo. If you can do that, then you are accepted as one of the musicians rather than a beginner to accommodate. #4. Variations and fancy playing.
      I tried something new this time. I wanted to really accompany with the banjo instead of playing parallel, so I listened to my fiddle part on one device while I recorded with another. Here is the interesting thing. I started out with them synced on iMovie, but towards the end of the recording, the banjo was off-beat. So I guess you can’t count on the devices to keep the beat as true as the metronome. Even though it ends up sounding terrible, I thought it was interesting and instructive!

Carolyn
      Participant

No banjo this time, only a quick practice today. Up to 160bpm.

Joanne Iles
        Participant

Still sounding good Carolyn!

Fixkids
      Participant

Great job Carolyn!

You have encouraged me to try this myself. Thanks for sharing.

-Deb

Carolyn
        Participant

You can see that I don’t try to “fix the video up.” If I messed around trying to make it look nice, then I would never get it up there. Since I have my regular YouTube channel I share a lot of stuff on, I don’t particularly want these practice blurbs thrown in the mix, so I use another account to post them.

Carolyn
      Participant

Trying my best to do about one a day! Thankfully I remembered to have them give my Covid shot in the left arm, since it doesn’t have to move as much as the right arm!
      Frustrating to have to match up the videos on iMovie, since I can’t find any really fine controls. But good enough for this purpose.

Ha ha! See my Zen expression on my face playing the banjo, and the wrinkled brow with the fiddle.

Carolyn
      Participant

And I look like I’m reading the music, but I’m not. Just focused on the music in my head.

Carolyn
      Participant

I recorded with my iMac Quicktime app. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it before, it was much easier than fiddling with a camera or device. Not much new, just a bit faster. I played 3x through, trying to build up stamina. When I play for reals with other people, the tune may last a long time, not just a few times through.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Fantastic, Carolyn! And you’re doing double stops at that speed! Very inspiring challenge – thanks for posting

Carolyn
        Participant

Thanks! It really is encouraging to hear from other players.
        I’ve gotten to 185 now, but decided not to make a video, since it sounds just the same, only a bit faster. Maybe I will get it up to real speed, set it with other instruments and do a grand finale sometime soon!

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

So nice 🙂

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.