Will a metronome help my fiddling?
A student named Henry K. asked me during office hours, “Will a metronome help my fiddling? Do you have suggestions for practicing timing on the violin?”
The short answer is YES. Practicing with an external beat (metronome, play-along track, drum machine, other musicians) will most certainly help your timing.
Metronome practice tips
- Start with simple things: single notes, intervals and scales
- Move on to phrases from simple tunes and eventually full tunes.
- The metronome should be LOUD. Otherwise you’ll lose the beat.
- Before starting to play, listen to the beat for 10-30 seconds. Feel it in your body.
- Do not use a metronome when learning something new.
- Once you can play the whole piece with flow, try to use the metronome.
- Start with a medium tempo. I suggest 70 bpm.
- Then, push both ends of the spectrum.
- Find your slowest tempo and fastest tempo. Also note the most comfortable tempo (medium speed).
- Keep track of your progress in a practice journal.
- Take breaks from the metronome
- Especially if you encounter some challenge which causes you to lose the beat. Just pause the metronome, work it out in free time, and then return to the metronome.
Here’s a simple metronome track (70bpm) you can use right now:
Follow this practice path:
The beat of a different drum
You can also try using more interesting beats. Here’s a bodhran beat (Irish drum) from Beat Central.
This micro-lesson is an excerpt from an office hours webinar I gave on January 28, 2020. View the entire live-stream with indexed questions here.
Do you have a fiddle or violin question? The office hours live-stream happens on the last Tuesday of the month.
Sign up for my email list and I’ll let you know when the next one happens:
Become a FiddleHed!
You’ll also hear about newly published lessons as well as other fun stuff like community practice challenges and giveaways. Yeehaw?
Two ways I can help you level up your fiddling
- Sign up for the FiddleHed newsletter below.
- Sign up for the Free Two-week Trial. You’ll get full access to all courses and group lessons. Plus, I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
Thanks for being here 🙏