How can I improve my fast playing?
Nancy from Kentucky: I am working on Little Liza Jane. When I get to 5:45 on the Full Play-Along Track it becomes too fast.
- First, work on your timing at a comfortable medium speed.
- If you can’t do this, then you won’t be able to play fast
- Use a metronome
- It might be hard at first, so start with very simple things, like going single notes and rhythms on open strings
- When you want to speed up a tune, speed up the most challenging parts
- These parts will set the tempo for the whole tune
- As you speed up the hardest parts, you’ll be able to speed up the whole tune
- The Jedi-knight method of playing fast: play things VERY SLOWLY with a metronome
- This is hard
- Don’t worry too much about playing fast
- If you focus on fundamentals, this will happen more easily down the line
- Will a metronome help my fiddling?
- Metronome tracks
This micro-lesson is an excerpt from an office hours webinar I gave on July 15, 2020. View the entire live-stream with indexed questions here.
Are you ready to begin your fiddle journey? I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
Two ways I can help you level up your fiddling
- Sign up for the FiddleHed newsletter below.
- Sign up for the Free Two-week Trial. You’ll get full access to all courses and group lessons. Plus, I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
Thanks for being here 🙏