G string double stops (or C string for vla).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Curious if I want to (or should I?) Add double stops to notes I play on the G string can I use the open A (or open G on Vla) or do I need to add fingering to that higher string? Thanks

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

Hey Steve, great inquiry. Have you figured anything more out in the last week with this? I’d be interested to see you show a specific example of this.
      I feel as though we can add double stops to anything we want, with any adjacent string, permitting it makes sense for us in terms of notes sounding good together, and that the technical aspect of our finger position feels good, and it worthwhile for us. There’s times I’ll practise adding various double stops into a song, and sometimes the notes work well for this, and also times where some notes don’t work well to add double stop to. Sometimes it works to double stop through a whole tune, sometimes with only some of the notes. It can be a really valuable practise to work with double stops in our warm up exercises and scales. Here are some great resources on double stops with scales: https://fiddlehed.com/?s=double+stop+scale

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.