Home » Forums » Student Videos » Matty Groves by Marg.

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Marg Sherringham
      Participant

I enjoy playing different instruments for different reasons, and like to muck about with Garageband. I still struggle with intonation on the fiddle but love it’s expressive nature and sense of play (as in fun). I think I will cut this down a bit, it has one more riff than I intended. I recorded the rhythm track 1st and couldn’t remember how many times I’d played through. All suggestions and criticisms will be gratefully accepted.
      Cheers,
      Marg.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Wow Marg this is a great video! I love the tone of your fiddle playing on this tune. Great backing track too on your other instruments. Love it!

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks Joanne for your kind comments.

cynhrossi
      Participant

I’ll second that WOW! This was wonderful! Love what you did here with the tracks! Your fiddle work is beautiful! Such talent! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey
      Participant

Wow! I was impressed before I realized you did all of that. Great job, and I love your studio, so bright and cheerful.

Marg Sherringham
      Participant

Thanks cynhrossi and Lindsey, you’re very kind. I tried this arrangement with friends playing flute, fiddle, banjo and guitar last weekend. We’re hoping to work it up to performance level along with other tunes we’re working on.

Nancy Couch
      Participant

Wow. This is so impressive and inspiring . I play other instruments but fiddle is my main, I have only timidly experimented with making my own play along tracks. learning to use the recording technology is my biggest stumbling block right now. I use a scoring app called Crescendo to score arrangements for cello and violin to play with my playing partner…it’s taken a while to get proficient on that app. I love this tune Matty Groves and your arr. of it and your playing on this (of course) this video makes me want to score up a cello/violin duet. Thank you for sharing it.

Marg Sherringham
        Participant

Thanks Nancy, you’re very kind and I hope we’ll see some of your work soon too. The Matty Groves harmonies were written by Georgia Nettleton, I just experimented with layering the parts in and out and over. I don’t really know much about recording either, still have to learn how to mix and edit. Great to hear you’re writing for fiddle and cello, I write harmonies too for a community group that I run, used to use Crescendo like you, but now use Musescore. Just started writing some original tunes with harmonies, would love to have more time to be creative.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

So beautiful Marg! Lovely interweaving of harmonies between the two violin parts. You’re are so inspiring to all of us! I truly don’t think that there’s anything to change or cut out – it was such a pleasure to listen to.

Owen
      Participant

I agree with all the above comments Marg! Beautifully done. As I listened, I thought I recognized the melody. After a bit, I realized it seemed so like Shady Grove, a song I know. Could they be one and the same, I wonder. Great job Marg.

Marg Sherringham
        Participant

Owen, I’m sorry I haven’t replied to your question earlier, I’ve been called on to do Grandma duties a couple of times in the last 2 months and that means traveling 1,000klms to get there each time and staying for a bit. Yes it is the same tune as Shady Grove and can be played so many different ways, it’s one of my favourites.

Debbie Hill
      Participant

Incredible quality of sound!and talent for putting it all together!

jameseke
      Participant

Whoa!!!

Fixkids
      Participant

Beautiful. Thank you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.