Home » Forums » Student Videos » Kerry Polka

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      David123429
      Participant

Hi! Here is my best Kerry Polka from about 10 tries. Thanks for listening!

Debbie Hill
      Participant

David, recording is hard isn’t it? This take sounds good! Great straight bowing.

David123429
      Participant

Thanks for your reply, Debbie! Jocelyn was working on bowing techniques yesterday on the practice session reminded me to concentrate on better bowing.

Recording helps so much to pick up on sound and techniques but it really does feel like performing to an audience. The best way I find to overcome this hurdle is by practicing over and over…and then it’s still like a tight wire act! Lol

Owen
      Participant

Great job, jumping right in and putting a video up! Noticed that you don’t use a shoulder rest. I know some fiddlers do without one. So far, what’s you’re favorite style of music; old time, Irish, Polkas, waltzes….? And what is your favorite type of practice; scales and variations of scales, call and response, play Alongs on FH site…..? Have fun, David.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

Nice job David!

David123429
      Participant

Thanks, Joanne!

David123429
      Participant

Thanks Owen! Sorry for taking so long to answer.

I used a shoulder rest for a long time, but just sort of got away from it. It just seemed to be unnecessary.

My favorite style of music is all of the above. Whatever sounds good and is within my ability to play. Before taking up an instrument, my personal catalog of tunes was very limited. Most all of the approximately 50 tunes that I’ve learned to play, I never heard of before learning.

My practice varies from week to week, with feedback being the main driver for weeks now. Metronome/timing, working on being in tune, working on rythem, bowing, all while trying to improve my Kerry Polka. Feedback is a massive help!

Here it is after many days of practicing and listening to other ppl’s versions of it to get the rhythm down better. Thanks for asking, Owen!

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

This is in regards to David’s first video post of Kerry Polka from Oct 18:

Here’s a rough feedback video with some rhythm suggestions that in turn will support our sound.

And in response to David’s video repost of this tune from Oct 30, great work! What a good idea to post your version of the tune, dive deeper into mastering it, then share a new video. It shows us clearly the growth you’ve experienced. Thanks for bringing us along on this journey.

David123429
      Participant

Jocelyn, thank you so much for doing this! 🙂🙂🙂🙂 My Kerry Polka journey was unexpected and has been so rewarding in terms of learning new techniques! Thank you again for all you’re doing!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.