NEW HOMEPAGE LANDING PAGE Forums Student Videos Fisherman’s Blues

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      kate.kakadu
      Participant

I’ve just bought myself a full size electric violin and am very excited moving up from the 3/4 I’ve been playing. I’ve joined the local ukelele club and have my first public gig with them coming up, so really want to get my accompaniment right. They do their own version of Fisherman’s Blues and I loved the solo that Jason taught, so I thought I’d have a crack at working out the rest. I’ve made a track to practise along with at home (please excuse because it’s very dodgy) but I needed something to make sure I could work on timing and sound. Any advice on what I can do to improve much appreciated!

Joanne Iles
      Participant

That’s really nice Kate, thanks for sharing. Love the sound of the electric fiddle!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks Joanne! I’m getting used to it and am still a bit squeaky. I just realised that I made my backing track very loud in comparison, so apologies to listeners for that!

Carolyn
      Participant

That’s great! It’s so hard to work out fiddle accompaniment and tags that don’t walk on the vocals and also sounds nice. I know–I’ve tried!
      Also, your fiddle has a sweet sound.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks Carolyn. I’m still trying to work out what is too much, or just enough accompaniment. At the moment I’m just copying from the original, but am getting more confident to deviate a little now and again.

cbFidHed2020
      Participant

Sound great, Kate. I like your instrument, your playing, and your backing track. You have a really nice voice!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks CB, that’s very kind. I find it a hard song to sing, but I have continued to practice the violin accompaniment and trying to get a bit more relaxed. I’ve had to adjust to the larger size and don’t seem to be squeaking so much on the higher notes. I’m glad I’ve recorded it though, because I can see and hear where I need to improve!

Kvmceff
      Participant

That was quite nice and well done. I am very impressed. Only thing I can think to say to change it any at all would be to punch up the triplets with a bit of an accent . . . gosh it’s just good as it is.

Squeaky? I didn’t hear it but they make an E string that doesn’t whistle. I have no idea if it is ok to use on an electric violin. And yes, the one I was using does work (because I am whistling like crazy without it). Only ‘problem’ is that it has a very high tension and can warp the bridge if you aren’t vigilant and watching/straightening the bridge all the time.

Owen
      Participant

Well done, Kate! I’d say you’re ready. Like the little “rif” you put in during the recording. Good use of the fourth finger as well. And yes, your voice is fine!

Bluegrassgal
      Participant

Hi Kate, this is fab! Your violin sounds great, what make is it? I am thinking of buying an electric for future gigs x

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I’ve now done 3 gigs with the ukulele club, with another this weekend, so have been busy learning the songs! I’m still learning about what I can do with the electric violin; I’ve discovered it has headphones that I can plug in so I can hear myself over the rest of the group, without needing to put my amp up higher. At a festival performance I was plugged into a properly big amp that went to a mixing desk, but I couldn’t hear myself through the feedback amp, so it helped having my headphones so I could make sure I was playing in tune.
      Kvmceff, that’s a good idea about the triplets. I definitely need to work more on them! I’ve discovered that I really need to bow the strings cleanly, because a misplaced bow on other strings makes a really off sound – and that was what was the squeak, or more screech sound that I was getting. Thanks for your feedback and ideas.
      Owen, thank you, I have improved since I posted, and getting better with being more relaxed playing. I found it really good to record myself and review. In the end the band decided not to do Fisherman’s blues, and instead did Dirty Old Town by the Pogues, so have had to learn that one!
      Bluegrassgal, I’ve just been looking for my receipt because I have no idea what the brand is! Can’t find any logo on it. I just went to a music shop in the city and tried it out. They had a wooden one that was shaped differently but I chose this because it was comfortable to hold and has an active control system where you can adjust the volume on the violin, rather than have to do it on the amp, which is quite handy. It also has the headphone Jack so you can practice without an amp. It cost $350 Australian, and then I bought a small cube amp (which is really for guitar but is very easy to carry around) because I’m only really playing for fun, rather than professionally. There was a bigger amp that they said would be more suitable for the sound of a violin but I just went for the smallest. I’m sure you’d have more variety in the US, but I found going to the shop and playing the different ones was good to compare. But if I find my receipt that shows what make it is I’ll message you!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.