Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » Cindy’s Practice March 2024

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      cynhrossi
      Participant

I do keep a journal using lists in columns with comments. Some days are discouraging and some are just winners! My fiddle group meets weekly on Zoom where we play something each week for the group. When possible, some of us play chords (on mute) with the fiddler.

For March, I set the following goals:
      1. Review and practice a fiddle set list.
      2. Learn new tunes by ear.
      3. Learn Nashville shuffle with a few tunes. Make it mine.
      4. Practice at least 5 out of 7 days each week.

Tunes I learned by ear:
      1. Kitchen Girl
      2. Squirrel Hunter
      3. Irish Rover
      4. Cripple Creek with shuffle bowing
      5. Barlow Knife with shuffle bowing

Tunes I reviewed and will continue to work on:
      1. Faded Love with double stops
      2. Violet’s Waltz with double stops
      3. Midnight on the Water DD tuning with double stops
      4. Tennessee Waltz
      5. Kentucky Waltz
      6. Blackest Crow with double stops
      7. Southwind
      8. Sail Away Ladies
      9. Old Spinning Wheel

Techniques: I used looping and chunking to review tunes; played them with the tracks on the site. Practiced shuffle bowing, including splitting the pattern, with scales.

Reflection: Overall, I met my goals and will continue playing these tunes, plus more I want to work on. I’m not ready to retire any yet to the “mastered” list! I would like to continue adding double stops, chords, and shuffle bowing to some of the tunes. I just started playing with someone who is learning viola and we’re working on finding ways to play together, both in unison and in harmony. We plan to meet once weekly to work on the same songs. We’re working on I’ll Fly Away and Barlow Knife.

April’s goals: To continue this practice, reviewing these tunes for my set list, adding new tunes, and learning tunes with shuffle bowing; playing with the viola friend. I’m going to experiment with breaking up my practice into 20-minute intervals for some days rather than one-hour intervals. This last one will depend on finding a way to schedule this. Play every day!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.