Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » Are there any bad habits you want to break?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

I’ve had this bad habit of raising my first finger in the air when I play fourth finger (pinky). I had a good teacher as a kid named Mrs. Osborn who tried to break the habit without breaking my love of music. I still do this. I don’t think it held me back too much. But now I want to try to re-train my hand. Let’s see if this old dog can learn a new trick 🐶

Let me know if there’s any bad habit you want to break. If you don’t know of any, then start to pay attention to your posture, technique and maybe even how you practice. See if anything can be improved 📈

Beverly Weber
      Participant

I have a bad habit of holding my breath while playing, particularly when a tune gets faster. I’ve been doing “fiddle yoga”, concentrating on breathing in and out while playing scales and different rhythms.

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

That’s great. You just reminded me to breathe too…thanks

Patty
      Participant

Clenching the strings when I try to learn something new…which of course, makes it harder!!! Focusing on playing more relaxed…

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

Good goals. It’s something I still work on too.

cynhrossi
      Participant

I’m constantly trying to correct my posture while playing. I “crunch” my neck and then find myself hurting. Then my fiddle “tips” in my hands and under my chin. Harder to remember to correct posture when I’m in the zone!

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

Sounds like a similar issue to Patty above…

Brian
      Participant

I am trying to work on not ‘overthinking’ while playing and relaxing (like others have posted about). I work in tech as a data analyst and it’s hard to turn that part of my brain off because I’m worrying too much about my posture, my bowing, intonation, etc. and trying to apply everything I’ve learned in pursuit of the ‘right/perfect’ sound. It all spirals into an unpleasant practice session so I have to work on trying to have fun (as mentioned in all the recordings). I need to apply more fun fiddlehed theory!

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

You’re on the right track, just by being aware of it.

And that analytical part of you is good. Just tell it to take a step back once in awhile so you can play. Then allow it to step forward and help you improve.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.