Once you learn a tune, take a journey by adding practice variations. This adds Desirable Difficulty which helps you learn it more thoroughly. But mainly it’s fun.
We’ll mostly work with the first quarter of the tune:
And A Part, Second Quarter
14 Practice Variations
- Looping chain sections
- Adding texture to chain sections
- All downbows
- All upbows
- Play at a steady tempo with a metronome
- Flatten the rhythm
- Add rhythmic variation to flattened rhythm
- Extract the melodic pattern
- Transpose up a fifth
- Octave talking
- Alternate between first quarters of A and B parts
- Play every other bar
- Alternate between playing chords and the melody
Are you ready to begin your fiddle journey with me?
You’ll get full access to all courses and group lessons. Plus, I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
- Whiskey Before Breakfast
- Whiskey Before Breakfast Practice Journey
- Fiddling With Desirable Difficulty