Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » Self-Recording With A Reference Track

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

I know a lot of you record yourself with audio or video. This a great way to get immediate feedback on your playing.
      I want to briefly suggest a way to up the ante.

Record yourself playing with a play-along track or metronome.

There’s a lot of options for doing this. But here’s a super simple way two get started: the Two-Device Method. Play the audio of a play-along track or metronome on one device, such as your laptop. Then, use a separate device, like your cellphone, to record yourself playing along.

Why do this?
      Because then you can listen to how you stray from the reference recording.
      The Two-Device Method is a great way to just dive in right away. Today!

You can get a cleaner sound with a multi-track recording option (like GarageBand). But it involves a bit of tech learning. I plan on creating some tutorials on this in a post next year.

I’ve even thought of making an app for this…a simple two-track recorder designed just for practicing music. Let me know if you or someone you know would want to help with this.

Have you already recorded yourself with audio or video? If so, leave a comment below. Let us know your process, what gear you use and how recording helps you.

On a related note, if you’re interested in recording, I recommend you get a halfway decent mic for your device. You can get a huge improvement in audio quality without breaking the bank. This will also help you be heard in online group lessons like the Hootenanny and the No Fear Fiddle Session. See a few mic options on the Recommended Gear page.

crowbar47
      Participant

My goal is to record something using a recorded track good enough to post. A bit lame on the tech side but I keep trying.
      Thanks to Jason for the encouragement and this latest post with suggestions!!!
      Mike

Jocelyn Martens
        Participant

That would be lovely, Mike! Keep experimenting with it and don’t hesitate to reach out for support. Awesome goal~ 🎶🙂

Susieq
      Participant

That is a really good idea! i purchased a microphone today. i dont think i can use my hearing aids like hedphones…..at least it isnt working so far!!!!!

crowbar47
      Participant

I have hearing aids which are blue tooth connected to my I phone. If u record on my phone it plays thru my hearing aids

crowbar47
      Participant

Correction ….. “ if I record on my I phone it will play thru my hearing aids!!!

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

Thanks for sharing folks. @susieq, I tagged you here to ensure you see Mike’s above reply. The hearing aids topic with recording/zoom sessions is a good one. Bluetooth to the apple device to hear the audio coming through our microphones. Be interesting to hear if this works for you, Susieq. Good topic to hear from the wider community as well 🙂

Susieq
      Participant

Hi guys, i did reply to Mike privately, I think! I can bluetooth to any Bluetooth device with my aids, however, what was hoping that i could hear myself if I plugged the microphone that i bought into my Ipad. Am i doing something wrong, i wonder? Jocelyn, when you have your headphones on, are you Bluetoothed to your laptop or phone? I am wondering if i am making this more complicated than it really is!!!!

Jocelyn Martens
        Participant

Hello,
        I can hear myself in my headphones when I have my headphones directly connected to my microphone. I am using cords – USB mic to laptop, and headphone cord to microphone.
        I wonder if there’s a microphone that you can connect your hearing aids to (via bluetooth), that will also connect to your device, so you can hear yourself playing and other folks can also hear you and have their sound be heard by you, simultaneously.

Have you talked with the company for your hearing aids about it?
        Looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.