Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      magpie
      Participant

Hi
      Just wondering if anyone is from Victoria Australia?

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Hiya magpie, I’m in Arnhem Land, NT in the small Aboriginal community of Gapuwiyak. Hope you’re going okay in lockdown. Lucky for the fiddle and Fiddlehed hey!

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate.kakadu, yes the fiddle is a great foil to lockdown! My daughter was working in Nhulunbuy 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. It looked so beautiful from her photos. Do you have a group that you play with in Gapuwiyak?

kate.kakadu
      Participant

I’ve only been here 8 weeks, but staying a bit longer for work. I’ve managed to find a couple of people to jam by the fire with, which is fun, but I’m trying to really get through my intermediate Fiddlehed course. When I’m home in QLD I play with the ukulele club, who have lots of songs I need to learn! How about you, do you have a group you play with when you’re not in lockdown!
      I’m needing to develop better bowing technique. I haven’t mastered the elegant flexible wrist and feel very wooden in my arm. Need some tips!

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate, I play with a group weekly…usually. We have 3 fiddles, 3 flutes, concertina, guitar and sometimes a bodhran. I also play with a lady from Luxembourg that I met here at a group lesson over zoom weekly. I’m still struggling with bowing but I have only been playing about 4 years. Have you got the Beg Borrowed and Stolen tune book? Its really good. Enjoy your music! Maggie

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Yes, I do have the BB and stolen songbook, but it’s sitting at home in QLD at the moment. You must be missing your weekly group – it must be a lot of fun playing with them with such a great combination of instruments. How do you go on zoom? I have such difficulty with normal meetings where people talk and there is that slight delay. How do you play together on zoom?

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate here is a link to the BBS tune book http://www.cmcadelaide.com/files/music/bbs.pdf Its a free download. Sometimes when connection isn’t good or my playing is poor I will mute and play and listen to Julie and visa-versa. Most of the time it just works. There is a rumour rural Victoria will come out of lockdown this week so we will get back to playing in a group soon I hope. Enjoy playing, Maggie

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.