Home » Forums » Online Practice Groups » Aussies on this site?

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      magpie
      Participant

Hi
      Just wondering if anyone is from Victoria Australia?

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Hiya magpie, I’m in Arnhem Land, NT in the small Aboriginal community of Gapuwiyak. Hope you’re going okay in lockdown. Lucky for the fiddle and Fiddlehed hey!

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate.kakadu, yes the fiddle is a great foil to lockdown! My daughter was working in Nhulunbuy 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. It looked so beautiful from her photos. Do you have a group that you play with in Gapuwiyak?

kate.kakadu
      Participant

I’ve only been here 8 weeks, but staying a bit longer for work. I’ve managed to find a couple of people to jam by the fire with, which is fun, but I’m trying to really get through my intermediate Fiddlehed course. When I’m home in QLD I play with the ukulele club, who have lots of songs I need to learn! How about you, do you have a group you play with when you’re not in lockdown!
      I’m needing to develop better bowing technique. I haven’t mastered the elegant flexible wrist and feel very wooden in my arm. Need some tips!

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate, I play with a group weekly…usually. We have 3 fiddles, 3 flutes, concertina, guitar and sometimes a bodhran. I also play with a lady from Luxembourg that I met here at a group lesson over zoom weekly. I’m still struggling with bowing but I have only been playing about 4 years. Have you got the Beg Borrowed and Stolen tune book? Its really good. Enjoy your music! Maggie

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Yes, I do have the BB and stolen songbook, but it’s sitting at home in QLD at the moment. You must be missing your weekly group – it must be a lot of fun playing with them with such a great combination of instruments. How do you go on zoom? I have such difficulty with normal meetings where people talk and there is that slight delay. How do you play together on zoom?

magpie
      Participant

Hi Kate here is a link to the BBS tune book http://www.cmcadelaide.com/files/music/bbs.pdf Its a free download. Sometimes when connection isn’t good or my playing is poor I will mute and play and listen to Julie and visa-versa. Most of the time it just works. There is a rumour rural Victoria will come out of lockdown this week so we will get back to playing in a group soon I hope. Enjoy playing, Maggie

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Thanks Magpie, I will check out that link. For some reason my posts are not posting, so hope this one gets through! I haven’t been playing because I broke a string and it took ages to get a replacement by mail. Hope you weren’t affected by the earthquake – Victoria needs a break!

magpie
        Participant

Thanks Kate, I imagine it would take a while to replace a string where you are! I was sitting in the kitchen, thought there was a tree falling close by then I thought it was thunder…it took me a while to realise it was an earthquake. 6.0 magnitude, bigger than the Newcastle one in 1989 and the epicentre was in Mansfield – 63 kms away!I was just frozen and I’m sure my heart raced faster for a few seconds!!!Thankfully there was no damage here or in our town. There was some buildings damaged in Mansfield and Melbourne. Thery felt it in Canberra too! Happy fiddling!

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Just downloaded the BBS, fantastic thank you! I had the original old photocopied one. This one is much easier to read!

Hello Kate and Magpic
      I’m in Old Bar, near Taree in NSW. Glad to see other Aussies here. Just love Fiddlehed although I’ve also worked with other online tutors too. Focusing on the Irish fiddle journey and trying to be better at back up chords and often getting lost in the focus although I do try to practice every day. I have the BBS songbook and try to improve myself with it too. HOpe you are all going ok in these times. Kaz M

magpie
        Participant

Hi Kaz and Kate
        Kaz I love Old Bar! I also remember lying on that beach after a night shift and falling asleep and yes woke up with a bad sunburn! We lived in Taree from 1981-3.
        I have been a bit slack lately, cut my index finger and have had a while not playing. I did go to the Fiddlehed Improve your Tone yesterday. It helped me get back into it.
        I thought about the challenge….I’m glad you are challenging yourself with the chords Kate, I find that a bit hard but will definitely have another go at it.
        I usually play with a celtic group on a Monday afternoon and I am the slowest fiddle player! I can recommend playing in a group, it has challenged me and I have improved. I’m sure there would be a group around Taree Kaz. I also enjoy playing with Julie from Luxembourg over zoom. I met Julie on the Fiddlehed site.
        You may be interested – I recently bought a bowing aide which I find helpful. https://www.swstrings.com/product/accessories/violin/BR1
        Happy Fiddling Kate and Kaz!
        cheers Maggie

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Hi Kaz, Great to hear you’re playing everyday. I’m doing the practice challenge and aim to ‘fingerprint’ songs as Jason calls it, so I can play them from memory. I’m still learning how to play basic chords and should practice that more! I’ve also just discovered garage band and am having fun making some accompaniment tracks to play along with. I don’t have anyone who plays folk style music here at the moment. Do you get to play with others in Taree?

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Hi Maggie, thanks for the link for the bowing aid. I’m interested in you’re finding it, and if you feel a difference in your bowing because of it. I definitely need to improve my boing technique – I feel I need specific guidance on how to do the wrist bend because how I hold the bow looks so wooden compared to others how have an elegantly bendy wrist.

magpie
        Participant

Hi Kate
        I think the aid will help me. I get feedback that I’m touching the aid and that then makes me straighten the bow.
        Did you participate in the mystery tune that Jason had Saturday at 6am? I did and it was good. There is a recording of it. I like learning by ear.

kate.kakadu
      Participant

Hi Magpie, no I’ll have to check out the Mystery tune when I have time. Going camping for the rest of this week. I really should try to join the zoom lessons – except it would be 4.30am our time I think, and I’m not that much of an early bird! Definitely think I should get one of those guides if you think it is helping you.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.