Home » Forums » Share Your Practice » What small improvement can you make right now?

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by jason kleinberg.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

What small improvement can you make right now to become a better musician?

It could be a posture adjustment, mastering a new technique or improving just a few notes in a tune.
      Identify it, then dedicate your next practice session to this improvement. Small changes can lead to significant progress over time.

I encourage you to post your thoughts in this Share Your Practice forum. We learn better together.

David123429
      Participant

I’ve been working on learning to play chord backup. For weeks now I’ve picked up the fiddle almost every day and played 7 different chords on g and d strings and d & a strings. Chords a g d and c. Playing I’ll fly away and trying to sound ok playing on recored YouTube videos. It’s been difficult bc for a log time at first it sounded so bad. Now that I’ve memorized these chords, I feel like it sounds better. Jocelyn offered feedback that helped greatly on I’ll fly away. This opens up a whole new dimension of music!

Chords have been difficult but are worth it. I stayed at it by returning to rythem music that I enjoy playing when chords were not sounding good/frustration. Also, I’ve been playing chords on mandolin for fun.

Owen
      Participant

Working on two posture changes that I have been working on to relax my playing, yet work on speed. Using a different shoulder rest, I’ve brought my left elbow closer to my body, alleviating some arthritic left shoulder pain. At the same time I am working to use my wrist more to make bowing smoother and a bit quicker. I’ll practice some in front of a large mirror to watch the position of my bow arm (wrist).

Liz Faiella has a video on relaxing the bow arm/hand. I’m going to try that method with FH’s play along of Kesh Jig, progressively faster.

Joanne Iles
      Participant

I’m playing a lot in our campervan this year & had got a bit of a cramped up & lazy posture! I saw this post & looked at my left wrist position brought it forward so I’m back to using the fingertips straight down onto the strings & can hear straight away an improvement in sound much clearer & easier to play a bit faster too!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.