Home » Forums » Student Videos » Josefins Dopval

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

First recording as I can now (almost) play the entire piece.

Jocelyn Martens
      Participant

Beautiful tune and great sharing of it on your viola 👍🏽 Your flow and rhythm work well for this waltz. I’m trying to figure out what dopval means. Thanks for posting this goal of yours for the community!

Thank you. This is one of the many new tunes I’m trying to learn so I can play with my local Spelmanslag. Composer Roger Tallroth is a Swede and I have heard him the the band Väsen a couple of times. He composed this song to the christening of his niece Josefine (“dopvals” means “christening waltz”).

Owen
      Participant

That is so challenging, Steve; a newly composed tune! How did you learn it, by ear or sheet music, or both. The viola sounded really cool. For some reason, I find learning by ear (a section at a time) helps me to remember a tune. I know Jason said that to play and remember a tune one has to listen to it, over and over, till you can sing, hum, or whistle it at will. What works for you? And good job!!

Thanks, Owen, I have been listening to a couple of dozen new tunes I need to learn to play in the group. I worked on this one using sheet music in chunks, mostly to get the slurs down. I was struggling until I hit the right pattern on the first few triplets, then it fell together. I gotta get rid of that poker face, I most definitely have a good tell. I still use the sheet music as I have a bad habit of rewriting tunes in my head and getting stuck playing them my own way.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.