How do you add slurs to tunes?
Mike from Frank’s Fiddle asked, “I’m starting to experiment more with texture and slurring and I find that slurring really messes up my rhythm for the whole tune. I’ve tried looping and get it ok in small chunks, but when I add it into the tune it completely throws out my timing and I find I never slur the same sections. I know it will come in time, but is there a trick to getting the slurring rhythm down?”
Thanks to all who attended this office hours session and asked questions 🙏
Further learning and practice
- Practice on scales and tune phrases.
- Master the slur rhythms on different scales.
- Practice at different speeds.
- Practice slurring across strings.
- You’re on the right track because you’re practicing in smaller chunks.
- Just try to slowly build bigger chunks.
- Slur practice tips
This micro-lesson is an excerpt from an office hours webinar I gave on June 17, 2020. View the entire live-stream with indexed questions here.
Are you ready to begin your fiddle journey? I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
Two ways I can help you level up your fiddling
- Sign up for the FiddleHed newsletter below.
- Sign up for the Free Two-week Trial. You’ll get full access to all courses and group lessons. Plus, I’ll send you some free lessons tailored to your current skill level.
Thanks for being here 🙏