Home Page for Non Logged In Forums Chatting On The Porch Fall Practice Challenge 2018

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Hey folks,

Here’s a place where we can share how it’s going with the 14-day practice challenge.

Some questions to ponder:
      Do you have trouble practicing every day? If so, why do you think it’s difficult? Can you change one thing your life that would make it easier to play every day?

What do you most want to improve? What do you think you need to do to accomplish that?

Who will you tell that you’re taking part in this? Telling someone else will help you to play every day.

thanks for taking part,

jason

robertrwolfe
      Participant

I found fiddlehed back in late May. I hadn’t touched my violin in about 18 years and I wasn’t very good when I put it down. Now I practice every day, I have 11 tunes that I have learned from fiddlehed which I play from memory. I start by playing the D scale and the A scale for about 10 minutes then I play the tunes, A part twice,then the B part twice and then repeat it. It takes about 35-40 minutes to go through all 11. Then I work on rolls and double stops. In all about an hour. Sometimes I will walk through the bedroom where my fiddle is and stop just to play a few songs. I started keeping track of how many times I play each song about 6 weeks ago, I am up to 86 times on Banshee! At first I thought, ‘now repeat a thousand times’ would be easy, but I haven’t even made it to 100 yet. But I can say one thing of encouragement to everyone, if I improve just half as much in every 100 times I play a tune, I will be very happy! What started out sounding like a death march is starting to sound like a recognizable tune now. Thank you so much, Jason!

Linda
      Participant

I picked my my Fall Challenge tune and it is the Jig from St.Paul’s Suite (the second violin part). I have made my 60 + Minutes to practice each day. I taped myself today….yiiks…that is a rude awakening…haha, and after listening, I know will be very busy the next two weeks improving on many things.

My secondary challenging tune is the 2nd violin part to the Hallelujah Chorus working on 16th notes and how to improve my bowing on those. Also taped myself on those and listened…another yiiks.

My reason for choosing these two tunes is because I am playing in an intermediate orchestra and we are performing these tunes in December. I want to be able to be able play my part with confidence.

Cheers everyone, and happy playing
      linda

crowbar47
      Participant

I’ve managed 1 1/2 hrs each day. I’ve been studying violin for two years along with fiddlehed lessons. I put most of my practice time into improving tone,intonation, and consistent bow strokes. I’m trying to smoothie the ruff spots out of Arkansas Traveler. I can play it but I can’t quite make it sing

Beth
      Participant

I’m thoroughly enjoying this challenge, and today is hard because I just came home from a 12 hour day and have another one tomorrow…getting up at 3 am to go to market, but I will practice tonight at least a half an hour! Yesterday I recorded myself and I agree with Linda…it’s kind of a yikes moment for me! I feel so proud of all the songs I’ve been able to learn, but I really need to work on my sound now…so glad to have the encouragement here. Thank everybody for participating. It feels like I’m not alone!!!

Dmbulfin
      Participant

I picked “Jessica’s Polka” as my practice tune and go through the Irish variations exercises for about 40 minutes. Finish last ten minutes reviewing older tunes. Seeing my 4th finger getting stronger and intonation improving. Thanks Jason for your encouragement and whimsical teaching method! -Dan

Steven
      Participant

I need to work on staying in tune so I picked Scales with drones as my challenge tune,…I try to make em sound like a tune with intervals.30 minutes of
      scales and then 45 to an hour on a tune. And yes the recording myself does not lie…kinda wish it did…

nancybrown
      Participant

Enjoying…I’m hoping that I was able to change my Avatar too!

nancybrown
      Participant

Yep! Changed – did a search and followed other members instructions to change avatar 🙂 It worked…

maureen
      Participant

Hello! For the Fall Practice Challenge I’m concentrating on Drowsy Maggie and Ashokan Farewell. I sure hope I hear much better sounding recordings at the end of this. Lol! And I’m working on string crossings and am attempting to get a better sound with my third finger which is still a bit of a wonky ever since I broke the tip. It’s getting there! Actually I need to get a better sound from all of my fingers. ?
      Happy fiddling everyone!

maureen
      Participant

Hello! For the Fall Practice Challenge I’m concentrating on Drowsy Maggie and Ashokan Farewell. I sure hope I hear much better sounding recordings at the end of this.? And I’m working on string crossings and am attempting to get a better sound with my third finger which is still a bit of a wonky ever since I broke the tip. It’s getting there! Actually I need to get a better sound from all of my fingers. ?
      Happy fiddling everyone!

castanu92
        Participant

I love “Drowsy Maggie” and have it on my list to learn by end of the year. Just heard Mark O’oconnors version of “Ashokan Farewell” love it.

maureen
        Participant

Jeeze, I’ll have to listen to that version of Drowsy Maggie. This particular tune has been challenging for me. It wants to be played fast. I’m trying hard to learn it slow, but I get speeding up and trip over my fingers. lol!

castanu92
        Participant

I know what you mean by trying to rush the song. I’ve been doing that to “Arkansas Traveler” which I learned at Jason’s Spring challenge and from his “You Tube” video. I had to slow it down otherwise I’m all over the place. If I could only get myself to play it with a metronome and incrementally increase the tempo.

robertrwolfe
      Participant

My fall challenge is going well, over two hours each day, but not all at once. I have added two new songs to try and memorize, Clare Reel and Blackberry Blossom, both have their own challenges. The low 2nd finger combined with trying the pinky finger is difficult. Keep going everyone, it’s so nice to see other people answering the call.

Clodagh
      Participant

I’m focusing on techniquerather than a particular tune. I came to Fiddlehead looking to learn how to create variations and learn how to jam rather than just play melodies. So my challenge is focusing on how to play chords.

I’m also enjoying the other exercises the are suggest.

robertrwolfe
      Participant

So I thought I would pass this along. I have had trouble learning the Georgia shuffle, 3 slurred notes on an up bow followed by a strong down bow. While learning one of my new songs for the challenge, Blackberry Blossom, I discovered the A part lends itself very well to this rhythm. If you are having trouble with the Georgia Shuffle, give this tune’s A part a try. I hope this helps!

castanu92
      Participant

Hey all!
      Nice to read everyone’s posts on how they are doing on the “Fall Practice Challenge”! I accomplished my first week goal of learning the last five songs in a old time fiddle book I’ve been working on since February. “Blackest Crow, Wagoners Lad, Willie Moore, Wildwood Flower, and Little Birdie”. Unfortunately I haven’t been able keep up with my 120 minutes a day that I set for myself. Only ten minutes today when I ran through those five songs quick before I had to head to work. Anyway the second leg of the challenge for me is to learn “Asleep at the Wheels” version of “Cotton eyed Joe”. Play everyday everyone even if it’s only ten minutes have fun and enjoy the music!

maureen
      Participant

@castanu92
      I frigging super love Blackest Crow! I’ve only recently heard of it and am attempting harmonizing vocally.
      lol! not so pretty! Did you figure out the fingering/key sig on your own?

castanu92
      Participant

Hey Maureen thanks for responding. I’ve been playing “Blackest Crow” in the key of G. I learned the tune by music notation and listening to the CD that came with the book I’m using. Very nice waltz and I’ve really enjoyed playing it.

castanu92
        Participant

Just noticed the “reply” for posts. Anyway Maureen It’s a nice song to practice your fourth finger so in the key of G instead of playing the open E string I’ve been trying my fourth finger on the A string to get the E note.

maureen
        Participant

castanu92 ~ Oh sweet! Thanks for the 4th finger “tip” ? I have been practicing 4th a bit, so that’ll work fine.
        Can I ask which book with cd you are using? I’m learning Lovers Waltz next after Ashokan Farewell.
        I love those waltzes!
        Thanks again.

castanu92
        Participant

“Old Time Fiddle For The Complete Ignoramus” by Wayne Erbsen. Has about 35 tunes and is pretty much just barebones for beginner. I changed my goal for this week to playing “Blackest Crow” with drones and getting 4th finger to work better.

maureen
        Participant

Ahhh okay, I believe I had that very same book on my Amazon wishlist. ?
        I hope that 4th finger is kicking in for you!

castanu92
      Participant

Thank you Jason for the practice challenges. I have taken your motto of “Play every day” to heart from the time I did your spring challenge to now. I have played every day even if it was only for ten minutes. For the fall challenge even though I changed my goals a bit I learned six songs. One of the songs “Blackest Crow” I worked on drones and using my fourth finger with it. The last song I learned was “Soldiers Joy” that I learned from your You Tube Video. I’m able to pick up on songs much faster now since I began in February. This week I’m trying to learn “Victory in Jesus” just by ear. Also I am going to hit my scales hard this month (A, C, D, and G) and try to utilize the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of those scales for accompaniment. Then when December hits I will be working on Christmas songs. This message is in response to to your e-mail on asking how fall practice challenge went and any other type of continuation on what I would be practicing on next. Hope this helps.

castanu92
        Participant

I forgot to mention how I really like how you’re working in duets on your You Tube channel. Thank you.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.