Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      [email protected]
      Participant

Hi — I am looking for anyone who is interested in meeting at maybe a park or something and playing some tunes in the Quad Cities.
      Dan
      [email protected]

Elizabeth
      Participant

Quad Cities! I’m here! Dot’s Pots has a jam on the 2nd Thursday of each month. I’d be game to play/swap some tunes.

MaximusVonC
      Participant

Uh Oh, Now I have to give away my location… I have no excuse not to. I was hesitant to even bring my violin around others, because I’m terrible- but if it’s a group, I can blend in. I’m in East Moline- if Dot’s Pots is the place to be then I’d love to attend. Got any more info? I probably won’t play the first session, but I’d love to see how it’s properly done.

-Max

Elizabeth
      Participant

Dot’s Pots is not an Irish Session, but different musicians show up to jam or swap tunes. It’s informal, open to newcomers, and friendly. I tried a regular Irish Session years ago at Mac’s Tavern in Davenport. Great to hear tunes, terrible to join in anytime soon for my level of playing.

I’d love to start up a Slow Session in the Quad Cities. I mostly know Irish and Old Timey tunes with a smattering of Scandinavian tunes under my fingers.

I’ll post more about Dot’s Pots when I find out when the next jam is.

[email protected]
      Participant

Mostly Celtic Medium Tempo
      I am starting a group for newer, intermediate and advanced musicians (who don’t mind slowing down). Bring a chair and we will gather in the shade near the playground equipment or at the shelter at Kiwanis Park in Bettendorf on the first Monday of the month @ 7:30-8:30.
      Here is the tune list so far: Out on the Ocean, Margaret’s Waltz, Southwind, Arran Boat Song, Fisher’s Hornpipe, Little Beggar Man, Swallowtail Jig, Drowsy Maggie, Saint Anne’s Reel, Simple Gifts, Irish Washerwoman, Kesh Jig and Tam Lin.
      Come even if you don’t know all the tunes, just be willing to learn. We can play a tune at a slow tempo a few times, then bring that tune to a moderate tempo if necessary to make the tunes accessible for more musicians . Also, bring a tune to expand our list.
      We will sit in a circle, take turns choosing a tune, play it and then the next person in the circle can choose a tune.
      Dan

[email protected]
      Participant

Mostly Celtic Medium Tempo Jam for newer, intermediate and advanced musicians (who don’t mind slowing down). Bring a chair and we will gather in the shade near the playground equipment or at the shelter Kwainis Park Bettendorf 7:30 – 8:30 first Monday of the month.
      Here is the tune list so far: Out on the Ocean, Margaret’s Waltz, Southwind, Arran Boat Song, Fisher’s Hornpipe, Little Beggar Man, Swallowtail Jig, Drowsy Maggie, Saint Anne’s Reel, Simple Gifts, Irish Washerwoman, Kesh Jig and Tam Lin.
      Come even if you don’t know all the tunes, just be willing to learn. We can play a tune at a slow tempo a few times, then bring that tune to a moderate tempo if necessary to make the tunes accessible for more musicians . Also, bring a tune to expand our list.
      We will sit in a circle, take turns choosing a tune, play it and then the next person in the circle can choose a tune.

[email protected]
      Participant

Sorry I double posted abut teh Mostly Celtic Medium Tempo Jam. Unfortuneately, there might be another copy of the announcement coming. I expected the post to appear immediately. Anyway, I hope some folks will join me at the Aug 6 Jam in Bettendorf. I would like to get to Dot’s POt’s jam next month. I heard from a fiddler named Joe Nobbling Dot’s was one he enjoyed. But Joe passed away recently. I Any ideas to share about Dot’s jBut I usually have another commitment on Thursdays. Are you going to join me on Aug 6th at Kwainis? The Kwainis Park jam has been very small — only I have attended the first two months! So I just sit under the picnic shelter and play fiddle tunes for a while…

Elizabeth
      Participant

Joe was a friend and also my fiddle teacher for a bit. I only know a few of the tunes you listed, but I’m game to learn the others. I’ll put the Mostly Celtic Medium Tempo Session on my calendar. I’ll let you know if I can’t make it.

Dot’s Pots’ Jam is 7-9pm, July 12.

MaximusVonC
      Participant

Hey you two! I am working afternoon shift (2pm-11pm) on the 6th, but if you mean 7:30am then I can wake up early. As for Dot’s Pots- I’ll swing by!

Thank you both for the info.

Regards,
      Max

Elizabeth
      Participant

I have to be at an event beforehand. We’ll be late to Dot’s. Folks are friendly. Go to the back door.

[email protected]
      Participant

If the weather is nice tomorrow i.e. Saturday, I am going to the Davenport Farmers market about 9 am and play fiddle tunes for a while to see if I can find some other musicians who are interested in playing tunes. I will probably be at the west end where there are some locust trees. If you happen to be there, say hi.

Elizabeth
      Participant

Unfortunately I’m out of town with my mother for a medical procedure she’s having. My husband and a friend might show up to play. Neither are fiddlers, but they both play Irish tunes.

I hope to meet up sometime! I’m listening to the tunes you posted to get them in my ear.

[email protected]m
      Participant

Elizabeth —
      I hope your mother’s medical work goes well. Nonfiddlers make jams better! I hope they can make it. Please forward a few of your favorite tunes that were not on the list, I will begin learning them, although I learn tunes very slowly. When I started, I had no idea how long it would take me to be able to play a tune from memory up to tempo. Hopefully your husband and friend will join me tonight, have a nice time and want to come back.

Cheers!
      Dan
      [email protected]

[email protected]
      Participant

ANNOUNCING OLD TIME/CELTIC JAM AT MEDIUM TEMPO

Hi! I broadened the scope of the tunes to include old time tunes. I thought there might be some more irish musicians in the QC. But I thought wrong. So….
      This acoustic jam or session is for newer, intermediate and advanced musicians (who don’t mind slowing down). Bring a chair and we will gather in the shade near the playground equipment or at the shelter at Kiwanis Park in Bettendorf next to Paul Norton Elementary.
      Here are some of the tunes we might play: Soldier’s Joy, Southwind, Arran Boat Song, Old Joe Clark, Fisher’s Hornpipe, Tennesee Waltz, Liberty, Swallowtail Jig, Drowsy Maggie, Saint Anne’s Reel, Simple Gifts, Irish Washerwoman, Kesh Jig or Eighth of January. Many more possible songs, too many to list.
      Come even if you don’t know all the tunes, just be willing to learn.
      We will sit in a circle, take turns choosing a tune from our list, play it and then the next person in the circle can choose a tune.

Kiwanis Park Bettendorf at 6:30 pm.Monday September 3rd. Meet at the shelter or under a tree near the playground. My guess is that since it is Labor Day the shelter will be busy. But the shade trees are nice too.

Dan

[email protected]
      Participant

Did anyone give Dot’s Pot’s a try last month? I wanted to go, but was on grandpa duty that night. How did it go? What tunes were played?
      Dan

[email protected]
      Participant

Fiddle Tunes Monday, October 01, 2018 @ 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
      VENUE
      Kwanis Park
      4223 Greenbrier Drive
      Bettendorf, IA 52722

[email protected]
      Participant

Hey — I am still interested in playing some fiddle tunes with others. I am a retired preschool/primary teacher and have more free time than most. So suggest some times. Then we can find a meeting place. Maybe a park if it is a nice day or someother public spot.

Dan

MaximusVonC
      Participant

I Am Back!! I am sorry, I had an injury at work that had me out for a bit. (I took a fall with a ladder that hurt my hands and gave me a pretty terrible chin scar- not great things for a fiddle player). I also had a death in the house last month that left me blue, and I just couldn’t stand to pick up my violin.

Anyway, I am practicing again for the first time in months and to be honest, my hands hurt after about 10 minutes, but I’m happy to be able to play again. Dan, I am sorry that I keep missing you, and Elizabeth, I hope your mother made it through surgery. I missed Dots for 3 months in a row, but I am hoping they will be delighted to see me for December, though I’m not sure how well I’ll be playing by then.

Dan, would you like to meet up for November? I’m in classes, but should have some spare time to come and visit at a park or somewhere, even if the weather is getting colder. Maybe learning tunes in time for Christmas is right up our alley?

Anyway, best regards to both of you, and for anyone else reading!

Max

[email protected]
      Participant

Glad to hear things are going better for you Max. The park weather seems to be over. Can anyone think of a public place we could gather to play some tunes? I play mostly oldtime fiddle tunes with a smattering of Gaelic.
      Dan

[email protected]
      Participant

I am looking for anyone who wants to get together and play some tunes at my house? 2817 Hillcrest Ave Bettendorf. 7 pm this Monday January 7. We can play mostly tunes from Fiddlehed or other classic fiddle tunes, old time songs etc.
      Dan
      563-650-1485 text or call

[email protected]
      Participant

Jeff came over tonight. We played flop earred mule, old joe clark, whiskey before breakfast, red haired boy/little beggar boy, saint anne’s reel and few others. We are looking for anyone else who would like to join us. We will play some tunes again next monday.

[email protected]
      Participant

Oh yes — the tunes Jeff and I played Monday night were at a slow to medium tempo. Post up if you want to join us next Monday.

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Wow! Lots happening in the Quad cities.

Elizabeth
      Participant

I took a little hiatus. Nothing like a quarantine/shelter in place order to finally make me get back to fiddling. When we can get together – June? – we should aim to meet up.

[email protected]
      Participant

It is June == Anyone want to play some tunes — maybe in my driveway or at a park.
      Dan 563-650-1485 text is best as I tend not to pick up unknown numbers. Or [email protected]

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.