Home Page for Non Logged In Forums Practice Questions Scales….what does it mean?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TheBigJR
      Participant

OK, so I just signed up for the beginner “free trial” classes, I’ve been fiddling around since last September, buying an inexpensive violin to hopefully inspire my son to practice more for school…anyhow…

He keeps talking about learning and playing and practicing the scales….what does that mean? I mean, I just watched one of the YouTube videos, and he emphasizedid learningredients the game major scale, and proceed playing it in two octaves…but I don’t understand, how does that help in learning the song? Is it just practice to keep the fingers WARM?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Justin

jasonkleinberg
      Keymaster

Finger positions vary with the scale. You are reminding your fingers where to go in the tune. The scale practice warms up the fingers and the ears. Remember, muscle memory is important when playing the fiddle. Your fingers need to go to specific spots and your ears help you know when you don’t. With practice, this becomes automatic. The scale practice is also a great time to focus on bowing, relaxing, vibrato, playing faster, etc….other skills that improve your playing. They are always useful to do.

jasonkleinberg
      Keymaster

Finger positions vary with the scale. You are reminding your fingers where to go in the tune. The scale practice warms up the fingers and the ears. Remember, muscle memory is important when playing the fiddle. Your fingers need to go to specific spots and your ears help you know when you don’t. With practice, this becomes automatic. The scale practice is also a great time to focus on bowing, relaxing, vibrato, playing faster, etc….other skills that improve your playing. They are always useful to do.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.