Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Joey B
      Participant

Has anyone tried Holstein rosin? I bought some and put on a new fiddlershop carbon fiber bow. It seems like I have to use a lot of it to get decent grip. It does not seem to have as much grip as the cheap D’Addario Rosin that came with my violin. I am considering getting some Pirastro GoldFlex rosin. Any opinions or other rosin recommendations?

MoonShadows

I use the Holstein rosin, and I haven’t found I have to use anymore than any other rosin I have used. How long have you had your new bow? You will have to use more than the usual amount of rosin on a new bow (in the beginning) than just regular rosining of a bow you have been using for a while.

Joey B
      Participant

I have had the view for a few weeks. Maybe it is just me. I am still new to the fiddle. I bought some hidersine since Jason recommends it. Will see how it compares.

Wendy V
      Participant

I’m in constant angst of “should I rosin more? Have I rosined too much?” I’m currently using Kaplan Dark, not sure why but it seems to take a lot, maybe it’s the new-ish bow…

Joey B
      Participant

I keep thinking I need to find the right rosin. Whenever I feel the bow skating across the strings, it seems like the bow is just not gripping well enough. Maybe it is the strings. I would love to try several more rosins to see what difference they make.

MonicaB
      Participant

As a beginner, how do you know how much rosin to put on? I’m never sure whether I should be putting some on each time I play, nor how long I should rub it along the bow, or do you just do it when you think there’s not enough grip?

Barbara Martin
      Participant

Am I using too much rosin? I have to wipe my string quite often as they start to sound scratchy. I have tried only putting rosin on a couple of times a week- I was doing it every time I practised. I am using D’Addario natural rosin light.

cbFidHed2020
        Participant

Jason’s answered questions about rosin a couple of times somewhere. Here’s what I know: my childhood music teacher taught me to use rosin sparingly. We’d do two, maximum 3, round-trip (frog to tip and back) swipes of the rosin against the bow at the start of each lesson. At the end of practice, wipe the rosin off of the strings and also gently wipe the entire violin with a soft cloth.

As a returning adult, I’ve honed in on what works for me now. I play a lot, about 3 hours each day. I begin each session with 3 round-trip swipes of rosin. If for some reason I played less the day before, I skip the rosin. If I play even longer or more intensely, I can tell I need more rosin during a session because the bow will start to skid a little like bad tires in heavy rain or sleet. If you apply too much rosin, you’ll know it because it’ll feel and sound scratchy. Just play until it wears off.

I never thought about rosin much, just used what was in the case as I’d been taught. Now I’m realizing that rosins do differ a little, and climate actually matters. Rosin lasts forever unless you drop it and crack it. When I returned to violin playing and found that my ancient metal and corduroy Menuhin-style shoulder rest had gone moldy (😂 !), I thought it best to replace the ancient rosin, as well, just in case. I realized it probably came with the old instrument which is probably more than 100 years old!

After researching reviews, I uncharacteristically splurged on Sartory rosin from France (purchased successfully from Fiddlershop for about $19, folks say Amazon purchases sometimes arrive shattered) which comes in a gorgeous and finely crafted little octagon wooden box. Beautiful! I was stunned when I rosined up! It provided the necessary grip but simultaneously added a silky, smooth feel to my bowing and a smoother sound. I love it and I’m happy that this little box will probably last the rest of my life. This was in a temperate, coastal mid-Atlantic climate.

I was equally stunned to apply the Sartory rosin to my bow in humid coastal Florida, where I spend some of my time, and find that it works horribly here!! The bow moved like it was gummed up, it didn’t glide, and it sounded sticky and scratchy. I tried the Premium Holstein Rosin that came with an instrument from Fiddlershop, and here in Florida that keeps me as pleased as my Sartory does in South Jersey. I feel set for life with rosin now. I had also tried the basic Fiddlerman Select rosin that came with something and that was nothing special. So who knew, rosin does matter, as does climate, but of course it won’t substitute for practice. Hope that helps! That’s everything I know.

Tom
        Participant

When you were in Jersey, Carolyn, did you find a seasonal difference? In the same way as your Sartory didn’t work well in Florida, did you find a similar problem in the heat of a Jersey summer? In Oliver (southern British Columbia), our typical 24-hour summer temperature ranges are from 15C to 30C (55F to 86F), while winter is typically -5C to +5C (23F to 36F). Being about 250km (as the crow flies) from the coast, humidity is quite low all year long.

I use a dark resin (D’Addario Kaplan) in winter and a light resin (Pirastro Goldflex) in the summer, because I read somewhere that dark resins perform better in cold, but may become too sticky in the heat. Does this make sense to you? I do find the Kaplan a bit raspy and the Goldflex a bit wispy when used side-by side, but it is a subtle difference. As you say, not enough to make up for lack of practice!

cbFidHed2020
        Participant

Tom, I find no seasonal differences whatsoever with my rosins in either location. I think there are unfathomable mysteries concerning rosin, and it’s kind of nice to have a few mysteries left in the world.

I wouldn’t call coastal South Jersey a hot climate. I’m 0 miles from the coast, as the seagull flies, and the Atlantic ocean is one gigantic air conditioner with those seabreeze fans turned up high a lot of the time. It’s not too hot, and it’s mainly damp.

I personally haven’t experienced temperature differences affecting rosin (and I play outside a lot), and I find it hard to accept that premise. Most people heat their homes during cold winters, and some people air condition their homes in warmer seasons, so unless someone’s living in a tent I find it hard to understand the significance of the seasonal temperatures.

That said, I don’t live in a tent but I almost never close the windows in Florida, so the effect is probably similar. Still no noticeable consequences from temperature. I think moisture content of the air is probably more significant than temperature, and even with that alone I have issues.

If pressed, I would imagine that it has something to do with the combined effects of moisture content of the air at a given temperature on horsehair, and then add to that the interaction between the hair and the rosin. Some people’s hair really reacts to the weather. I bet a hairdresser could come up with a pretty good explanation of all this. I’m just glad I found rosins that mysteriously work wonders for me and I’ve only made one outright purchase of rosin in my life.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.