Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lin
      Participant

I have just worked through your new video for playing back up to “The Girl I Left Behind Me” which I really enjoyed.

I was just wondering , there must be a formula for the notes played as back up. Is there one?? is it easy to understand. I mean, there must be some reason why you choose the notes. Is it that you choose a note in the chord ? In Bar 2 the chord is G, and the bass notes are G and D , both of which are in the chord of G so that’s understandable. But in Bar 3 chord is Am the Bass notes are E and B. I assume there must be a connection.
      I am trying to understand, so that hopefully I could apply it to other tunes, Jason, but its hard work at 66 !!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Lin.
      jasonkleinberg
      Keymaster

Lin, the fact that there is no exact formula makes it fun. Usually you are playing within the chord. You can quickly move from one chord to another using passing tones that might not be in the chord as you anticipate the chord change. Start simple. Learn the notes for D chords and G chords. Hum the notes and move back and forth between the two chords using the different configurations. Playing different configurations of the chords also gives a different feel. Change your bowing. Long bows then maybe short quick rhythm. It will depend on the tune. You usually want to play the chord configuration that is closest to the notes you are already using. If you are backing a singer, try to stay off the singer’s note and don’t play loud when they are singing. Practice with the Play Along videos. This is come general advice. Hope it helps. Cheers.

Lin
      Participant

Thanks Jason – very helpful advice as usual. I am feeling quite proud of myself. My friend sings Roseville Fair, with other friends backing him him on piano accordian and guitar. I have put together my own backing too and have a great time playing back up when he is singing, and then the play the tune when he shouts “instrumental”. I could never have done that before I took your course so thanks a lot for everything

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.