Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginny
      Participant

I’ve been playing a little over a year and a half, very consistently 30 minutes a day. I’m on 1.9 and have stayed there because I feel like I’m at a point in my learning where I need to really get the bowing, sound, and notes nailed down before advancing more in the lessons. I feel like it would be helpful to have someone see me play and say yea or nay to what I’m doing. And then I’d feel right about moving on. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you deal with it?

MoonShadows

Ginny,

I have been playing for just about the same amount of time as you (started February 2019), and I feel exactly the same as you about these points. I did have a teacher early on, but I had to give up my lessons because it was a 120 mile drive and I have had an on again/off again shoulder injury, the latter I feel my biggest problem. Have you looked in your area for a teacher? An alternative would be to video yourself and post the videos here asking for technique critiques.

Jim

Kvmceff
      Participant

Sounds a tad like stagnation. . . try something new and different. Let your interest and excitement guide you to your next tune, scale or exercise. If you wait to be perfect you will stall out totally. Keep going!!!! Right now, pause and learn some holiday tunes . . . or winter tunes. If you really are stuck and want some feedback, I have MANY years of playing experience and I had a good teacher for a few years recently.

Ginny
      Participant

Thanks to both of you. Jim, I do think posting a video for feedback would be good. Kvmceff, I love what you said, and I actually have started to do that since I posted, getting back to the songs I love, and just picking out some tunes I don’t have music for. Maybe it is a little stagnation. Keep going, drop the perfection, and play songs I love. Thank you. Ginny

cbFidHed2020
      Participant

Ginny, why don’t you attend Jason’s Office Hours session this Wed, Dec. 16th, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time (which puts us at 2:00 p.m. on the East Coast). Look up Office Hours Central for the link and information.

If you send your info to him beforehand on that page, maybe you can be chosen to receive live feedback on your technique and form. It’s a very non-threatening environment, and last time Jason spent a good deal of time on each student who signed up for feedback.

Personally, I’d probably play around with setting up a good camera angle in advance so that he can see your actual form while playing.

Ginny
      Participant

Hey cbFidHed2020, thanks! I can’t attend office hours due to my work hours, but what I can do is post to the student video exchange which is right below this post. Imagine that, right under my nose, literally. Thank you, and I appreciate all the support on here. I’m going to work up my courage to post a video.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.