Home Page for Non Logged In Forums Chatting On The Porch Ken Burns “Country Music” documentary

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

I’ve been loving this epic film about American music. Just finished the 2nd episode. Please share any thoughts about it in this forum topic 🙂

I’m struck by how a lot of the early country stars were acting a part; putting on hillbilly costumes, blackening their teeth, etc. I always thought that old country was “the real thing” but it turns out, they were putting on a show nostalgic of older times.

On the other hand, The Carter Family seemed pretty real and unadorned. In any event, the music in this film is so good. So many new discoveries like DeFord Baily…

MoonShadows

I finished Episode 1 on Thursday. Loved it. Not sure I will like the latter episodes as much since I am not as big a fan of “modern” country music, but I really enjoy learning about the early days. (I’m kind of stuck there since I love Old Time music.) The stories of these early days are mesmerizing for me, along with all those pictures and clips. I remember watching some of these folks (who are now gone) as a kid when the Grand Ole Opry was still televised weekly (back in the 1960’s?) (Finally learned why they called it an “opry”!) My favorites were the Carters, especially Mother Maybelle. I really liked learning more about AP, Sara and Maybelle. Jimmee Rodgers was amazing! And, how about that Uncle Dave Macon? I never knew many radio stations were started by companies to sell their products! Just some random thoughts… I am sure I will watch this episode again….so much there! Looking forward to watching Episode 2.

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

Yeah, the Carters were great. They seemed pretty pure. I was surprised to see how many of the other artists were acting out the role of the hillbillies; blackening their teeth, wearing overalls, etc.

Also interesting how the radio affected the music. As a market was created for the music, the level of musicianship rose, along with the diversity in styles…

scottwalker
      Participant

I just watched episode 1 on a flight and didnt realise it was by Ken Burns. Really liked all his other stuff and this was no exception. Very interested since I’m a sucker for musical history, particularly old-time American stuff.

For another excellent and very interesting documentary on the same subject I’d recommend ‘Appalachian Journey’ by Alan Lomax, made in 1991 with his own field footage.

MoonShadows

Great documentary for anyone interested in Appalachin music.

Another great source is Folkstreams (http://www.folkstreams.net/films.php) There are dozens and dozens…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by MoonShadows.
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Thanks @moonshadows checking this our now…

Melinda Newton
      Participant

I heard an interview with Ken Burns about The country music documentary soon after he finished it. Listening to him talk about the music and how his creative process and drive to make documentaries was really interesting. I find that most of what is said about the “old days” is mostly flights of fantasy. :P. I’m fascinated by old-time music recordings of the “regular” people who are playing the tunes. Gives me goosebumps.

Carolyn
      Participant

If anyone is interested in the history of Bluegrass Music, the best thing I have ever seen on that is “High Lonesome.” this is a preview on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeZw4_lW4c It might be streaming somewhere, but it is worth the effort to find it.
      It will tell you everything you want to know and will entertain you also!

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

I LOVE that film. It’s been awhile, I could see it again…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.