Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MoonShadows

Just curious if anyone uses an Incredibow? I got interested in it after following a discussion on one of the Facebook sites I follow. Some folks had a lot of good things to say about it, so I ordered one, and I really like it. It is not a traditional bow, but I love how light it is.

Here is the website: https://www.incredibow.com/

Here is my review…

My Incredibow arrived earlier this week. I purchased the Featherweight, no frills, medium tension model which is their number one seller. It definitely is a unique bow as the stick curves down rather than up, and the tension on the “hair” is constant and does not require any adjustment up or down at all. But, those are only two differences.

The first thing that struck me after opening up the box was how light it was. At 35 grams or 1.23 ounces, it is a bit more than one ounce lighter than my other two bows, the Holstein 1-star Pernambuco Bow and the Fiddlerman Carbon Fiber Bow , both of which weigh in at 64 grams or 2.25 ounces. Holding each bow from the middle, the weight difference is not that noticeable, but when holding each bow at the frog, the difference in weights is remarkable. The Incredibow is as light as a feather as it is made from a hollow, tapered graphite/epoxy tube. In fact, after playing with it for a while, I switched back to my Holstein bow, and it felt like I was trying to play with a baseball bat. I find the difference amazing.

The second thing I noticed is the width of the hair, actually 200+ strands made of tough synthetic polymer filament. The Incredibow has a narrower width than my traditionally haired bows. At .79 cm or 5/16 inch wide it has .32 cm or 2/16 less width, as my other two bows have their hairs strung at 1.11 cm or 7/16 inch wide.

The grip area is octagonal and not round like most bows, and it has a more generous space for the thumb. That, along with five layers of a rubberized coating on the stick and frog area, makes for an exceedingly good grip with more comfort than a traditional bow. I find there is more room to bend my thumb properly and it stays bent as I play.

The first hour or so I played with my Incredibow, I wasn’t wild about the sound, but I believe part of that was getting used to how light it is and being overly cautious with loading too much rosin at once. However, as I adjusted to the weight and built up sufficient rosin, I began to like the ease in which this unique bow made playing easier and the rich sound it produced.

I kept switching between my three bows listening carefully, and while I can’t say I noticed a significantly better sound from one particular bow, I can say I liked playing more with my new Incredibow; it just seems easier to play on the strings with less effort and easier to hold in these older hands, and for me, both of those are pluses!

So, this is my initial impression of my new Incredibow after using it for five days. I would be interested in hearing from any other Incredibow users out there, or would be glad to answer any questions if you have them. Just post below in the Comments section.

Kvmceff
      Participant

Just got word mine is in the mail. I will let you know what I think and compare to my Arcus bows!

MoonShadows

Yes! Please do so, Kvmceff.

Kvmceff
      Participant

It’s here. I can tell I haven’t been playing!! My first notice was a sense of differently balanced. I was pushing harder on the Incredibow. Sound is subtly different. Maybe the bow changes are more distinct. Or crisper. A tad more loudness. Not sure if I would say fuller sound, though.

Will keep at it and play more. Is there a way to share recordings?

MoonShadows

It took me a while to get used to it, too. I really don’t hear any difference between the Incredibow and my other two horsehair bows. Perhaps a more refined ear than mine would hear a difference.

You would need to upload your recording to a service like YouTube, Clyp, or one of the other ones and then share the address.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!