Home Page for Non Logged In Forums Chatting On The Porch good music fiddle related?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Niels Kristensen
      Participant

hi all,

as for me, I like the Foghorn Stringband. Just curious, what are some good bands / artists you like?

this is Foghorn Stringband live:

kate.kakadu
      Participant

I don’t know if Driftwood are still playing, but love the sound and groove of their version of Shady Grove. Great combination of banjo, bass, guitar and fiddle. I want to be able to let loose like that fiddle player one day!

Niels Kristensen
        Participant

one of my favorites as well 🙂 I listened to that video many times. That banjo is something special.

Michael G
      Participant

I met Foghorn Stringband many years ago at Walker Creek Music Camp in Petaluma CA. Great camp (currently on hiatus due to COVID but might be back in the spring). Caleb is a great mandolinist! So many great bands – here are some of my favorite bands featuring great fiddling:

Mandolin Orange (mellow and beautiful, dreamy music)
      Hawktail (with Brittany Haas)
      Mr. Sun (Darol Anger)

So many more… very interested to hear other suggestions.

Niels Kristensen
        Participant

Hi Michael, thanks 🙂 Yes I agree about Caleb, he is one of my heroes. He is always playful with his mandolin.
        Hawktail and Mr. Sun, something to check out. I think anything Brittany Haas related should be good. And I know Darol Anger from a lovely song he did with Sharon Gilchrist.
        This is Brittany Haas with Aoife O’Donovan and Odessa Jorgenson … bad audio quality but great fun 🙂

Brian
      Participant

Matt Heckler is one of my favorite fiddlers to listen to! Here’s a song he did with Benjamin Todd from Lost Dog Street Band:

Niels Kristensen
        Participant

Brian thanks for sharing! I had not heard of Matt Heckler. Love the musicianship and the intensity.

Michael G
      Participant

Great videos! Love the Matt Heckler tune and his energetic fiddling. Here’s another recent discovery:

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Michael G.
        Niels Kristensen
        Participant

That is cleverly done, how the fiddle and the banjo interact. Thanks Michael.

Niels Kristensen
      Participant

This is not meant to be clever, esp with the little theatre to open and close the song with… But hey it is Caleb Clauder, so how can it not be good. And I like the fiddle part by Annalisa Tornfelt.

Brian
        Participant

Love the mandolin and harmonies going on! Beautiful!

Michael G
      Participant

Here’s a great video of John Reischman and the Jaybirds. Greg Spatz is a great fiddler and does a gorgeous solo on this version of Salt Spring:

Niels Kristensen
        Participant

That was sweet and what a lovely setting. Personally I have a weak spot for live recorded music. Second best only to live music 🙂

Michael G
      Participant

Agreed, Niels. There’s an overwhelming amount of live music video on YouTube. Here’s another great one:

Michael G
      Participant

Another one featuring Darol Anger and some ridiculously great solos by all band members:

kate.kakadu
      Participant

It’s so great listening and watching all these different styles and bands. Love the textures and playfulness of Daryl Anger’s playing above. Very inspiring. Our ukulele club are doing Seminole Wind by John Anderson. I found this version on YouTube which I thought was fun:

Niels Kristensen
        Participant

Hi Kate, nice tune! Very danceable if that is a word.

Michael G
      Participant

That’s a great one, Kate! I hadn’t heard that tune before. I like how the energy builds up throughout their arrangement. Here’s another great arrangement of a classic tune. The Punch Brothers are a bit of an acquired taste for some. I just finished my first pass through their latest release, Hell On Church Street. Jaw-dropping technical mastery, musicality, and ensemble playing. Some of the tightest harmonies I’ve ever heard. Highly recommended for those interested in cutting edge string band music.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 11 hours ago by Michael G.
      kate.kakadu
      Participant

They’re great, Michael! It is very different, but you can hear a variety of influences in their music.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.