Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lichen
      Participant

I wanted to share something that has been working really well for me to improve bowing tone. I was reading about an old-time, late 19th century fiddler who was blind. I started thinking about how difficult it would be to learn the planes of the bow if you couldn’t see. So I started doing the “Stop and Rock” with my eyes closed, and basically all bowing exercises. At first I found it hard because I kept sliding off to the side, but after a while my mind started to listen instead of see. So I heard when I started to slide and immediately corrected. Anyway, in the long run, it taught me to listen to tone more, when I wasn’t distracted by having my eyes glued on the bow, and more importantly I noticed I started to learn the feel of the planes very quickly. So then I added the 3 “in-between” planes, where you bow two strings. Now I add Blind Time to every practice, and it really improved me. It all came together fast. Hope it helps someone else.

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Great idea. I’ve been doing this for years and do it with in-person students. Maybe time for a short lesson on this…

Lisa
      Participant

Interesting – will definitely give this a try. Thanks!

Ajs
      Participant

Wow never thought of this – sounds very challenging. Have got to give it go now of course!

jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Play With Eyes Closed
      /library/quick-tip-videos/play-with-eyes-closed/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.