Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Blucy

This is a video I did after watching the Jig Bowing lesson. It was really fun trying all the different patterns, but I went back to single bow when I found it hard to keep a soft bow hand, line up the bow, do string crossing etc. Even here I think I sound a little rushed and definitely look a little intense. I might be breathing. It’s like yoga brain and math brain (patterns) have a hard time co-existing. I”d love to hear from others. How do you work on bowing technique — any stuff you do to keep it smooth or lined up? (also hoping I’ve remembered how to put the video in 😉
      <iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UtcZ2Qkem38&#8243; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blucy

and the video

kaceysmith2
      Participant

Hi I appreciate you uploading videos. I will when I get the nerve. Bowing – It’s sorta trial and error with me. I went to a classical tutor friend who spent three lessons trying to force my hand/finger hold more “correctly”. That was well over $100. I will figure it out for free LOL. I feel like I am definitely getting a lot smoother and using slurring, etc. I am going back and practicing some more of the 1st module songs and can see such a difference. I do practice a lot because I am retired and have the time that I make for it! The main problem I still struggle with is getting tempo and accent to sound like Jason’s. I can read music enough to double check some of the tabs. I can’t yet use the drone and metronome successfully because it’s too distracting. I have to just get the rhythm in my head and tap it out inside my brain. Probably the greatest challenge so far has been getting the tones right. I use only one marker at third finger to help. It’s not like piano and banjo where once the instrument is tuned you will put your fingers correctly. You have to develop your ear if not a natural. It’s a work in progress and I welcome your interaction. I am lonely in the Pleasant Valley of MD.
      Cheers,
      Kay

Blucy

Ok kind of hilarious that is not even the video I meant to post. Tablet to youtube, youtube to here–it gets messy. Thanks for sharing your struggles Kay, same here on lots of that.

Blucy

This is the one I actually tried to post the first time, Bowing practice from the Jig Bowing lesson. Not quite a jig sound but at least a pattern that I try to keep throughout up and down the scale. Going backwards is the hardest part.

jason kleinberg
        Keymaster

Hey Blucy,

Thanks for posting the video. Was it difficult to figure out how to do that?

Blucy

post videos or play the routine? ok both a little wonky at first but lots of trying
      The jig bow lesson was a fun challenge. The up and down the scale bit was very slow, especially down at first.
      But now that I listen to it, I kind of think I lost the jig part, the accent or timing that brings that out.
      Definitely one I want to go back to and try the harder versions of this. thanks

Blucy

Oh I think you meant the videos because they load one after the other. That was a mistake. Sorry 😉
      I still don’t get why the embed code above (9/23 post) didn’t work and these URLs just load whatever is on top of my playlist on my channel.
      Seems the link went to playlist or channel not the exact video. I will try embedding again. And here is a train. Pasting the embed code that I copied on this video which is public. Of a train. If it doesn’t load, well trust me, it’s a train at the beach.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-HrgC3jzs&w=781&h=586%5D

Blucy
      Blucy
      jason kleinberg
      Keymaster

Hi Blucy,

Thanks for trying. You embedded jig bowing video but not the train. I clicked the link through to the train video. Once on Youtube, i clicked “share” and then the “embed” option. I copied that code and pasted it below:

Blucy

Yes but why when I click share, hit embed, and copy and then paste here it writes links and does not embed? Maybe the settings on this part of the forum? I only hit copy video URL and paste on the ones that loaded. If you play with it, they will rotate to other videos on my channel instead of staying stable. And if I change the order of videos on my channel, the link will go to the first, not actually to jig bowing.
      Alas, the code is long the life is short.
      thank you all the same. It’s fun to learn
      b

Blucy

At YouTube I have hit share, embed, and copy and now I hot paste and. . . maybe a new video will appear (or just come code 😉 test test trying to get this: Today’s practice in slowing down on a tune I have trouble remembering start to finish without looking at tab or sheet music.
      [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAOcZ7WJiU&w=560&h=315%5D

MoonShadows

I watched the video. You got through it! Now, that you have it memorized, you can work on improving the sound. That is what I am currently trying to do with Swallowtail Jig. BTW…I love this Tennessee Waltz.

crowbar47
      Participant

Disconnect your hand from your forearm. That’s the advice I got from a very good fiddle player. It’s not as easy as it sounds.

Blucy

Thanks Crowbar47. Sounds like good advice. I do know what you mean but yes harder to do than say.
      I got my finger smashed with some yoga with kids with autism today (oops, someone’s knee landed on my 4th finger. I just didn’t know his down dog was going to be so frisky). Funny not funny. but it might be a therapeutic injury in that my hand is very light holding the bow today and my wrist feels a little less “active” so maybe more fluid. Do you have any ways you work on this?

Ginny
      Participant

Beautiful smooth playing.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.