Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ega05aep
      Participant

Hi everyone, I live in a semi-detached house and due to my depression often only manage to play late at night. Unfortunately my neighbours can hear me. I already play with a mute but need some more ideas for being as quiet as possible.

Richard
      Participant

Might it be that you are using a rubber mute? They are really poor in my opinion. A solid steel mute is what you want. Even your neighbours won’t hear your fiddle, even late at night.

Megan
      Participant

Yes, get a steel or brass mute. I have a rubber one, a wooden one, and a brass one. I use mutes a lot when I’m doing the playalong tracks, because otherwise I can’t hear the track over my own fiddling, even with the sound turned up loud. I think mutes are good to play with sometimes even if you don’t need to be quiet. Because they change the timbre so it’s a good way of training your ear to really hear the pitch. I guess it’s similar to playing specific notes on other instruments in that way. I rarely use my brass mute but it definitely dampens the sound sufficiently for playing at odd hours with neighbors!!

Blucy

I also use a mute to play in a condo with thin walls. And I try to find cool places I can play for free (empty room at the office before others show up for work, or after etc). Question for group: Does practicing with mutes change how you hear the instrument and deter from developing a good ear/good technique for non mute playing? I am very new. The sound with the mute seems a little easier to control than without Thinking it is relate to tension on the strings.
      thanks for any advice here.

Richard
      Participant

Hi Blucy
      Firstly, I do not think the mute changes how you hear the instument. For example when you tune your fiddle with the mute attached it does the same job as with the mute off.

I do think the mute interferes with your developent however. I like knowing where my bow is on the strings at all times. A chunky mute hides the bow from you. You might get around that by watching your bow action in a mirror… if that works for you.

Richard

OldtimeShepherd
      Participant

What are your source suggestions for the steel and brass mutes? I’m struggling with practicing oltime with a mute right now but it’s a rubber one. I really hate the way the strings sound and respond with the mute, especially the A string for some reason, but I live in an apartment so I feel really shy playing at full volume. I try to play during the day when people are at work but it’s still a bit nerve wracking.
      Is something like the Mudder metal mute what you’re talking about when you say a “solid” metal?

Blucy

@oldtimeshepherd
      Since I wrote in July I’ve acquired a couple mutes
      Here, from Shar Music, I got a metal one, and I also have a rubber one given me. I don’t like playing with either but in my condo feel I should at times. The metal mutes more sound, but the rubber is a softer sound. Lots of other options here as well.

https://www.sharmusic.com/shop.axd/Search?button-search=Search&keywords=mutes

jasonkleinberg
      Keymaster

Hey @oldtimeshepherd,

I use the rubber practice mute.

I recommend talking to neighbors to find out if they can hear you. Conduct an experiment when they are at home.

It’s best to not use a mute if possible…

OldtimeShepherd
      Participant

It’s funny you mention it, since posting the above comment I’ve actually thrown away my mute. I play in my bathroom now, mid day. I’m satisfied it helps with the volume and I get to use the big mirror. It’s so, so much nicer to play without it. I think I was letting it hold me back.

Blucy

Thank you, I will try the experiment (3 to ask, left, right and down). I think they have already said they hear me, but they haven’t complained so my real question is, how loudly? I tried using my phone to record across the wall with the door closed from room to hallway while playing as a sample. Sounded pretty loud. Maybe people don’t care as much as I think they do. Ahh, communication. . .

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.