Home Page for Non Logged In Forums All about fiddles It’s a clean machine … [or is it?] Reply To: It’s a clean machine … [or is it?]

cbFidHed2020
Participant

Thank you, Nick!!!! I tried the Larsen’s Royal Oak string cleaner that you mentioned above. It worked great and it is going to save me a ton of money!

The other day, I noticed that the tone of my G and D strings had suddenly gone dead. Unfortunately, I’ve become addicted to some pretty pricey strings for the G and D, and the ones I’m playing are only three months old. I was working those strings intensely, however, practicing my double stops, so I figured maybe I wore them out. Since I’ve just started playing with a jam group and want to sound my best, I ordered new strings right away… then I got to thinking about your post. Decided to give Larsen’s Royal Oak a try before putting on the new strings.

I bought the Larsen’s Royal Oak string cleaner in the U.S. from Amazon for $10.97. Seemed like a lot of money for a tiny bottle, but it will a last very, very long time. I put a thick envelope under the strings to cover and protect my fingerboard. I used a lint-free Handi Wipe and put just a couple drops of string cleaner on it before rubbing each string. This was amazing! The clean strings immediately sounded clear and resonant, like a nice solid throw-away bow. I won’t say they sound brand new, but they sound good enough to get a lot more mileage out of them. This is a real find.

I’ve always cleaned off my violin and strings with a soft cloth after each session, but this string cleaner takes it to a different level. I’ll probably do this once a week going forward.